Como road tour/guide

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ClimbingFool
14ers: 58 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Como road tour/guide

Post by ClimbingFool »

Which companies provide tours to Lake Como using their drivers and vehicles? I hiked the road from 8,000' earlier this month, and it sucked away a part of my soul. Due to conditions (weather and aforementioned soul) I descended the next morning without attempting any summits. I'd like to attempt the Blanca group next after walking much less of the road. Any advice?
twhalm
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Como road tour/guide

Post by twhalm »

I have never heard of any service that does that.

I would suggest making friends with someone with a stock or slightly modified 4x4 as you can almost get to Jaws 1 at 10,000 ft and go from there.

If you want to play money the slightly unethical answer would be to rent a Jeep and do it yourself.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

I’m not aware of any companies that do this, and if there are some, they might not even take you past jaws 1 for liability reasons. Just find someone who has a stock 4WD truck or 4Runner with good AT tires. I have taken both of my stock SUVs up there with just good tires, and didn’t scrape. I parked right before Jaws 1 around 10,200’. Parking here eliminates the worst and hottest part of the hike.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

We have parked before Jaws one a number of times. If you can make it that far it really makes the day a million times better. I did drive to the lake one time, that was in my RZR/SXS. If you don't have off-roading experience you can get into trouble really quickly trying to go past jaws one. So if you do rent something just park before jaws one.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

I saw some crawlers from Dimensions Offroad up there, not sure if that's a club or local guide, but they had decals on all the vehicles. Even if you rode with one, I don't think they would have your climbing time in their schedule, and would be pretty pricey. They go up to the lake slow, having to stop to cool the engines and brakes. Lots of fumes. Best to find a partner who can drive it, which is still not so fun but better than hiking from the bottom.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

twhalm wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:49 am If you want to play money the slightly unethical answer would be to rent a Jeep and do it yourself.
What exactly makes driving a Jeep on a road that is open to motorized vehicles unethical?
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

IntrepidXJ wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:29 am
twhalm wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:49 am If you want to play money the slightly unethical answer would be to rent a Jeep and do it yourself.
What exactly makes driving a Jeep on a road that is open to motorized vehicles unethical?
I think they’re referring to the rental agreement, where most companies have you agree that you will not use the vehicle “off-road”…
Gene913
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

IntrepidXJ wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:29 am
My guess is that the rental contract for a Jeep most likely would not permit its use on something like the Como Lake road, which means doing it anyway could be "slightly unethical" but that's just a guess for the thought behind the comment.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
Skimo95
14ers: 58  13  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

You could always hire a body builder to carry you up and down the mountains! If I were you I’d just rent a jeep and drive to about 9,000’
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I saw a group of tricked out Jeeps crawl to the Lake. Crawl is exactly what they did. I camped in the desert just above where they parked their trailers. They left earlier than we did. I actually caught up to them just past the lake while hiking the road from 8800! Passed them on the way down late in the day. One of the Jeeps blew out something. Hood open. Fluid on road. Not good. They did get it down by sunset.

On same trek I saw a brand new (even had temp plates!), shiny, stock Wrangler parked just before Jaws 1. Very impressive.

My advice is to just grow a pair and hoof it from 8800. Then you can commiserate with the rest of us fools.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

There's always the Gash Ridge or Ormes Buttress. There's no Lake Como Road on that side.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
aksean22
14ers: 58  45  13 
13ers: 132 7 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by aksean22 »

Scott P wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:00 am There's always the Gash Ridge or Ormes Buttress. There's no Lake Como Road on that side.
Or Zapata Falls. It's a much nicer approach for Ellingwood/Blanca.