Silverton city limits OHV/SxS ban

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Silverton city limits OHV/SxS ban

Post by XterraRob »

Kiefer wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:52 am I've seen a lot of posts of people crying & whining over on the Silverton Community Board Group of: sxs owners, Republicans, tourists, Razr owners saying they're going to boycott Silverton and such and head over to Houston, I mean Lake City. While it feels good to let out petty feelings like that, thinking, said person is getting the last word, all it's doing is showcasing how juvenile and petulant they are. Lake City WAS a nice place at one point in time, but the sxs crowd helped to ruin it.

So back to my point of these D-bags forgoing Silverton in in lieu of Lake City, Creede or other towns, they're basically crying because they have to drive their toys outside of town to a staging area and THEN go have fun. They can't drive down Blair or Greene blaring their dumbass Trump/MAGA flags anymore. That's it! They basically don't want to drive an extra few miles. If that isn't juvenile & petulant, I don't know what is.
Let it out man :lol: I feel just as passionately about the Liberalization of Denver with the mutant gender militias, "feminization of men", woke movement, etc. Seems both sides enjoy raping the natural world.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilerness™
kevmonster
14ers: 32  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kevmonster »

I like that Silverton made their own choice about riding in town. But for you folks from Denver that think you have any pull in this aren't much different from the, " spent $15,000" guy doing whatever he wants.

Be careful what you wish for when your answer to something that you don't like is to "BAN" IT.

I think we need to be more inclusive of all users in the back country because if we fight too much the easy response is to shut it down for everyone.

(For the record I have a Jeep but would love to try a SxS someday)
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Kiefer »

XterraRob wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:04 pm
Let it out man :lol: I feel just as passionately about the Liberalization of Denver with the mutant gender militias, "feminization of men", woke movement, etc. Seems both sides enjoy raping the natural world.

Oh, man. You and I would have some awesome, wildly "entertaining" campfire talks. 😁 I'll bring the beer. 🍻
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

kevmonster wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:44 pm Be careful what you wish for when your answer to something that you don't like is to "BAN" IT.
On a related note, a lot of towns look at hikers and backpackers as their weakest source of revenue because we don't stay at in-town lodging and we tend to spend a lot less on shopping/restaurants. I know I don't want to spend a bunch of extra money either, but I do like to go to the local restaurants and help support these towns where I can.

Bali, Indonesia already is saying they don't want all the backpackers anymore, they want "quality" tourists... aka, rick people who spend money. I know plenty of backpackers who have the money, its just that the backpacking is the allure, not sitting on our butt in a hotel.

https://www.traveloffpath.com/indonesia ... reopening/
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:28 am
kevmonster wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:44 pm Be careful what you wish for when your answer to something that you don't like is to "BAN" IT.
On a related note, a lot of towns look at hikers and backpackers as their weakest source of revenue because we don't stay at in-town lodging and we tend to spend a lot less on shopping/restaurants. I know I don't want to spend a bunch of extra money either, but I do like to go to the local restaurants and help support these towns where I can.
That's a great point. Silverton could have gone the other way. Expanding parking areas for OHV/SxS. Setting up tents and outdoor events that cater to them. No street parking... it gets in the way of drag racing! Who knows what else they can thing up?

I'm gonna move to Lake City and start a petition. Invest in the infrastructure and marketing. Bring only the BEST money bags to town! I'm gonna be RICH!!!!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:28 am On a related note, a lot of towns look at hikers and backpackers as their weakest source of revenue because we don't stay at in-town lodging and we tend to spend a lot less on shopping/restaurants.
I would like these towns to look at my grocery bill.

And are we talking about backpackers as in, "backpacking around Europe" or, "Backpacking the CT?". I would assume the latter stay in places like Salida for their 0 day, spend money on food and drink, etc. Are they doing resort-style spending on resort-style things? Probably not and the march of time will probably see more Breckenridges pop up than Alamosas.