Salsa Recipes

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Salsa Recipes

Post by greenonion »

Because we all love some yummy salsa and chips at the TH after a hike, and because fresh produce is now out the wazoo... Let's share our favorite salsa recipes. Hatch chilis welcome, and anything else (yes, greenonions included). I would share, but I don't have a recipe I've actually tried yet, thus this thread!!...
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: Salsa Recipes

Post by d_baker »

5-6 jalapeños, diced, mostly de-seeded
1 fist sized tomato, diced

In sauce pan, heat jalapeños and tomato, bring to simmer.

Meanwhile....
1 diced red onion, smaller size or about 1/3- 1/2 fist size,
1 can stewed tomatoes, chopped
Diced cilantro, I just grab a bunch

Take jalapeños and tomato off burner and mix with other chopped ingredients.
Dash salt.

Best eaten when warm. I've had many compliments on this recipe and was a favorite/often requested at Barr Camp years back.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

I love chips and salsa right before a big day even more than afterwards!

Nice recipes. I don't have a specific recipe, so I will keep an eye on this thread.

I just have a tune by Ron (Pico de) Gallo to share.

jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

I'm not sure of exact proportions as I tend to do everything to taste, but here's roughly where I've been lately:

2 cans of fire roasted tomatoes
1/2 - 1 shallot (less overpowering than an onion, especially the next day)
Cilantro to taste
1 clove of garlic
Zest and juice one lime
A splash or two of vinegar from a jar of sliced jalapenos (grab a couple slices while you're at it)
Salt and pepper
I fire roast some sort of chile, usually a whole Hatch, Anaheim, or Poblano - I'll also do a Serrano or two (with seeds) if I or other heat lovers are the only ones eating it.

This is where I tend to get a little too seasoning heavy:
Couple dashes of oregano
Couple pinches of brown sugar
Maybe a little smoked paprika and/or ancho chile powder (I've also had some good results with Garam Masala!)

Throw it all in a food processor.

If I want it a little smokier I'll incorporate some chipotle peppers and sauce from one of those little cans

The wife loves it, as do others. I'm not satisfied with it and am constantly tweaking it. No matter what I add or remove, it's always missing something. I'm half Cajun so I have to fight the urge to throw in everything in the kitchen.
I'm always looking for tips or new recipes, especially from the beautiful minds who bring us the glories of New Mexican cuisine.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
tmud
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 162 11 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tmud »

blend 6 tomatillos, 1 serrano, 1 onion, lime juice, cilantro, all raw. Add salt and pepper. Salsa Verde.
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

cut tomatoes in quarters, cut onions in quarters, cut jalapenos in half (don't de seed), cut one serrano in half

now put all that on your smoker or pellet grill for 45 minutes to an hour at maybe 200 degrees

chop copioius amounts of cilantro, some green onion, and crush all of your garlic

put the smoker items in the food processor, don't liquify, but give it some good blendin

put the copious amounts of cilantro, green onion and garlic in, just give it a few spins in the processor to mix it in.

add at least a table spoon of chile pequin and a dash of salt, cumin if youre feeling fancy, squeeze of lime if you like that. never hurts to add green chiles to this process if you have them, but not in place of anything, just add them.

let sit at least 12 hours before consuming in the fridge
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

LURE wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:48 am cut tomatoes in quarters, cut onions in quarters, cut jalapenos in half (don't de seed), cut one serrano in half

now put all that on your smoker or pellet grill for 45 minutes to an hour at maybe 200 degrees

chop copioius amounts of cilantro, some green onion, and crush all of your garlic

put the smoker items in the food processor, don't liquify, but give it some good blendin

put the copious amounts of cilantro, green onion and garlic in, just give it a few spins in the processor to mix it in.

add at least a table spoon of chile pequin and a dash of salt, cumin if youre feeling fancy, squeeze of lime if you like that. never hurts to add green chiles to this process if you have them, but not in place of anything, just add them.

let sit at least 12 hours before consuming in the fridge
I have to get in the fridge to eat this one??!!
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

greenonion wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:58 am I have to get in the fridge to eat this one??!!
don't worry, it's normal

Hoot
13ers: 150
Trip Reports (36)

Re: Salsa Recipes (best one)

Post by Hoot »

I've been making this up several times a year for the past 25 years. I used home-grown jalapenos in my current batch. Mmmmm!

- 4 large (28 oz.) cans of pealed tomatoes, pureed
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (puree leaves with tomatoes)
- 10 fresh jalapeños, chopped
- 2 large white onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons garlic wine vinegar (substitute red wine vinegar)
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or finely chopped
- 2.5 teaspoons Accent (MSG)
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 2.5 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon powdered oregano
- 1 teaspoon coriander

Cook until it boils then simmer for 1 hour or more

Notes: This fills about 8 canning jars. Adjust hotness by leaving in or removing jalapeño seeds. For standard jalapeños, removing all the seeds will result in a mild batch. Leaving all the seeds in results in a medium-hot batch.
Last edited by Hoot on Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

12ersRule wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:13 pm I love chips and salsa right before a big day even more than afterwards!
Big day? What about during the big game?
If you only had 37 seconds to make salsa, could you do it?
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

madbuck wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:42 am
12ersRule wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:13 pm I love chips and salsa right before a big day even more than afterwards!
With no timeouts, and throwing over the middle, I would say it's impossible.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

madbuck wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:42 am
Takes me about 36 seconds with these twiggy arms to open a jar of salsa, so yeah, I'd be close.