ATV Rentals for Sneffels and Uncompagne

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mitsugi
14ers: 32  3 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

ATV Rentals for Sneffels and Uncompagne

Post by Mitsugi »

Good Day Folks,

In an effort to not walk something like 13 combined miles on the road for Sneffels and Uncompagne, I thought it would be nice to rent an ATV. Are there places to rent ATVs in the neighboring towns and is it possible to drive a razor for instance on the road up to the trailhead?
Trolling unintentionally since 6/30/2019...
peter
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: ATV Rentals for Sneffels and Uncompagne

Post by peter »

I rented a side by side from High Altitude Adventures in Lake City earlier this month. I reserved it a couple months in advance and picked it up the evening before my hike up Uncompahgre so we could get going at daybreak. We made it up to the Nellie Creek trailhead with ease. There are other providers in Lake City so check around, but I had a very good experience with mine. One suggestion I wish I’d known—bring goggles for the ride (not just sunglasses) as the dust was really bad on the Alpine Byway at times.

Spending time in Lake City was cool—everybody drives around town in OHVs and some of them are pretty tricked out. Great food too.
Last edited by peter on Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

Don't know the situation in Lake City, but I was facing a similar situation last year looking for a vehicle to get me to Lead King Basin TH. I found better prices on Jeeps than ATVs, probably much more comfortable and goggles not necessary.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
peter
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by peter »

wineguy wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:16 am I found better prices on Jeeps than ATVs, probably much more comfortable and goggles not necessary.
That’s right—you’re probably looking at a few hundred a day for an ATV at peak season. It may come down to your level of confidence; if you’re like me and you don’t trust yourself to be able to manage the tougher 4WD roads in a Jeep, renting the ATV eliminates that variable. The day I was on Uncompahgre, the Nellie Creek TH was half ATVs, half Wranglers, and one FJ60.
tortilla
14ers: 58 
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tortilla »

In regards to Sneffels, if you’re open to climbing the SW ridge (easy class 3), I would suggest looking into approaching from the Blue lakes side. Most passenger vehicles should be able to get within a mile of the trailhead. You gain a bit more vert starting here but the blue lakes area is incredible and well worth the effort
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

The drive up Yankee Boy, as far as the split in the road to Governor's Basin is easier on the vehicle and closer to the summit than Blue Lakes trailhead. But I agree the scenery on the Blue Lakes approach is hard to beat. But if expediency is the goal, drive the 2wd vehicle to the Governor's Basin split and hike from there. Blue Lakes pass and the SW Ridge are a snap from there.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice