Mt Evans, Summit Lake Parking

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dsirussell
14ers: List not added

Mt Evans, Summit Lake Parking

Post by dsirussell »

This year you must get a reservation to park at Summit Lake. https://www.recreation.gov/timed-entry/ ... t/10087442
However, the first reservation is 8:00am to 10:00am. Will there be any problems arriving before 8:00am? Will you be able to get to the trailhead? I'm thinking 6:00am or earlier is the ideal time for me.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58 1
13ers: 404 1
Trip Reports (80)

Re: Mt Evans, Summit Lake Parking

Post by Mtnman200 »

They assume that only tourists are buying passes and wouldn’t be driving up the road before 8 AM. You shouldn’t get in trouble for driving up the road before 8 AM, as there’s nobody at the entrance station to check and nobody at the Summit Lake parking lot. Just put your pass on your dash so it’s visible when you park. That’s what I did last week, and everything was fine.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Bfiles

Post by Bfiles »

Mtnman200 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:17 pm They assume that only tourists are buying passes and wouldn’t be driving up the road before 8 AM. You shouldn’t get in trouble for driving up the road before 8 AM, as there’s nobody at the entrance station to check and nobody at the Summit Lake parking lot. Just put your pass on your dash so it’s visible when you park. That’s what I did last week, and everything was fine.
When you say put “your pass”…which pass is that?
Bfiles

Post by Bfiles »

To be more clear, is that a reservation print out that goes on the dash? Any ideas on whether I need an 8 AM reservation if I’m planning to go through the gate at 6?…point being, would a 10 am slot work since either way I’m there way early?

Finally, do they not care that it’s a two hour reservation but the hike will take longer than that?

Thanks. As usual, the forest service and worse, recreation.gov website are totally worthless.