False hypothermia rescue charges

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

False hypothermia rescue charges

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

So this happened on Denali. Pretty wild events.
https://www.ktoo.org/2021/11/10/federal ... t-attempt/
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Re: False hypothermia rescue charges

Post by speth »

Anything for a check mark or list.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Why would he do this... it's such a damn irrational, lazy and pointless move. Man, gotta really stick it to the goverrnment by risking the safety of trained pilots I'm a true rebel 🤡🤡
Be the best you that you can be.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

This is to be expected in today's world of big mountains, especially on a mountain so popular as Denali. I have seen some pretty ridiculous things out there.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I heard an RMNP accident analysis from their climbing rangers about a decade ago at REI. They sometimes get phone calls asking for helicopter rescues that the rangers have to decide whether are necessary or not. Some adamant callers will demand such because the park was paid by their taxes.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Gives that weird press release the NPS sent out a lot more understandable
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I can’t believe someone did something stupid and lied about it.
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

This happens in CO too. there are several instances where people have lied about being injured/lost because their dog was hurt...and they knew SAR wouldn't come only for a dog.
434stonemill
14ers: 33 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by 434stonemill »

A few other articles from NYT in the past year on stupid people doing stupid things, its effects on SAR resources and the debate on who should pay.
(These links should allow viewing even if you do not have any NYT subscription)

Treasure Hunter Who Got Lost in Yellowstone Must Repay Cost of Rescue

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/11/us/t ... =url-share

You Got Lost and Had to Be Rescued. Should You Pay?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/06/us/r ... =url-share

Pandemic Wilderness Explorers Are Straining Search and Rescue

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/07/us/c ... =url-share
Terminally_Chill
14ers: 43  2 
13ers: 31 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Terminally_Chill »

As someone that comes from many generations of first responders in Colorado and has seen the effect that the intense population growth here in CO has had on the public land that my ancestors considered sacred, I'm just going to say it: hikers, climbers, base jumpers, etc. should have to pay for search and rescue. If you don't purchase hunting, fishing, or recreational vehicle permits (which go towards funding volunteer SAR in much of the west) you shouldn't be able to activate the search and rescue system for free.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

It should become customary to tip your rescuers. I had to get rescued by NASA SAR back in '19 because my oxygen supply ran low at about 40,200ft on Olympus Mons. They showed up, put me in a pod, and shot me back to Earth. I wasn't charged since I didn't need to be MEDEVAC'd back to Earth, but I did tip them a couple hundos for saving my life.

These people put themselves in harm's way, selflessly, to save you, or your dog that got stepped on by a Moose during a nature walk. They deserve endless gratitude for the amount of s**t they have to respond to.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

XterraRob wrote: ↑Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:42 pm It should become customary to tip your rescuers. I had to get rescued by NASA SAR back in '19 because my oxygen supply ran low at about 40,200ft on Olympus Mons. They showed up, put me in a pod, and shot me back to Earth. I wasn't charged since I didn't need to be MEDEVAC'd back to Earth, but I did tip them a couple hundos for saving my life.

These people put themselves in harm's way, selflessly, to save you, or your dog that got stepped on by a Moose during a nature walk. They deserve endless gratitude for the amount of s**t they have to respond to.
So you just got back to Earth in 2020 then
Be the best you that you can be.