Mt. Sneffels Rescue

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Mt. Sneffels Rescue

Post by Dan_Suitor »

My hats off to Ouray Mountain Rescue Team
Just saw this on CBS4: https://denver.cbslocal.com/2021/08/03/ ... -sneffels/
Raw rescue video: https://denver.cbslocal.com/wp-content/ ... FB.mp4?_=1
Century Bound, eventually.
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Mt. Sneffels Rescue

Post by douglas »

Any info on what happened? It looks like it was right below the notch - that could be a difficult fall with the notch exposure.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

douglas wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:20 am Any info on what happened? It looks like it was right below the notch - that could be a difficult fall with the notch exposure.
I don’t have any details other than what CBS4 reported. It does look like he was plucked from the upper gulley, after the saddle (Lavender Col.), but before the notch.
Century Bound, eventually.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Dan_Suitor wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:47 am
douglas wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:20 am Any info on what happened? It looks like it was right below the notch - that could be a difficult fall with the notch exposure.
I don’t have any details other than what CBS4 reported. It does look like he was plucked from the upper gulley, after the saddle (Lavender Col.), but before the notch.
Might have been scaling rocks to get to/from summit and avoided the notch completely. Its near top of col just past notch split.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Those rescuers are brave people
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche