Avalanche San Juans- The Nose

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
CaptCO
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Avalanche San Juans- The Nose

Post by CaptCO » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:59 pm

https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/acc/ ... iew=public

May they Rest In Peace (and find pow days in heaven)

:( “ The avalanche caught Riders 1, 2, 3, and 4. Rider 4 described the avalanche as two waves. The first wave slowly pulled him into the gully, but he was able to stay on his feet. Thinking there was enough snow to bury him if he fell over, he deployed the avalanche airbag on his backpack. After the snow stopped he was standing in the gully. Seconds later a larger wave of snow hit him from behind. Rider 4 immediately lost his skis and poles. He was engulfed in snow and tumbled violently. “It felt like I was in a river and I was fully under the snow for approximately 15 to 25 seconds” Rider 4 explained, and was “moving very fast a significant way down the gully”. When the avalanche stopped, Rider 4 was buried in the debris with his head under the snow, but a portion of his airbag was visible on the surface (partially buried-critical). Riders 1, 2, and 3 were completely buried in the avalanche debris.”
Attachments
73962863-4F83-4BF0-9021-026D2C9A9BAF.jpeg
73962863-4F83-4BF0-9021-026D2C9A9BAF.jpeg (135.71 KiB) Viewed 1892 times
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
speth
14ers: 58 5
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by speth » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:18 am

Is there any definitive studies on the impact from airbag systems? Anecdotally, it seems to make a huge difference, but I'd appreciate to see a comparison or a list of escape/not when using an airbag.
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
Snow_Dog_frassati
14ers: 57 2 5
13ers: 61 5

Post by Snow_Dog_frassati » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:35 am

speth wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:18 am
Is there any definitive studies on the impact from airbag systems? Anecdotally, it seems to make a huge difference, but I'd appreciate to see a comparison or a list of escape/not when using an airbag.
I have heard numbers as high as a "50% better chance of survival." I got that from an episode of the Snowbrains podcast.
"A good decision yesterday doesn't absolve me from a bad decision today"
curt86iroc
14ers: 14

Post by curt86iroc » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:54 am

speth wrote:
not definitive, but interesting analysis specific to CO:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... EM-Avi.pdf
gb
14ers: 56 54 6
13ers: 67 61
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:56 am

speth wrote:
Most research has been done in Europe, where the ski terrain is far more favorable to successful airbag use (fewer trees and big fan-shaped avalanche runout zones in many cases). Airbags aren't necessarily helpful in gladed terrain where trauma is as big of a concern as getting buried. Here's at least one study done in NA: https://backcountryaccess.com/en-us/blo ... he-airbags

Honestly it's quite surprising that the airbag was helpful in this case, since they don't tend to be very effective in terrain traps like the gully in this accident. The skier was still buried, but the airbag was visible so the rescuers didn't have to waste any time searching and could quickly dig him/her out.

Both skiers in the accident on Battleship this season, which is just a couple of miles away, deployed airbags but were buried anyway. I use one throughout the winter but it's no magic bullet.
Barnold41
14ers: 12
13ers: 9

Post by Barnold41 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:52 pm

Airbags don't really do much if there's 20 feet of snow on top...
docinco
14ers: List not added

Post by docinco » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:04 pm

CaptCO wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:10 pm
That’s very unfortunate. I’d recommend leaving this thread to rest until the families are able to receive confirmation. 14ers people are so nosy
coming from a paragon of appropriate behavior, making friends wherever he posts and invariably showing admirable restraint...
CaptCO
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:42 pm

docinco wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:04 pm
CaptCO wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:10 pm
That’s very unfortunate. I’d recommend leaving this thread to rest until the families are able to receive confirmation. 14ers people are so nosy
coming from a paragon of appropriate behavior, making friends wherever he posts and invariably showing admirable restraint...
I love you. Things will get better
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
Jorts
14ers: 21 3 1
13ers: 59 12 5
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Jorts » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:05 pm

Barnold41 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:52 pm
Airbags don't really do much if there's 20 feet of snow on top...
Exactly. They perform magnificently if you trigger mid-slope. Not so much if you're at the bottom of one. Their efficacy has been proven when used in the right scenario. Just another safety tool in the arsenal.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @summityinzer
Strava: Brent Herring