Mt Whitney fatality early November

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Re: Mt Whitney fatality early November

Post by Mtnman200 »

Rollie Free wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:43 am While I certainly dont defend the noob comment, it was terribly insensitive, do we really have to rush to someones bag count, judge them, then make comments?
This board is the epitomy of ill informed credentialism. The count is kind of fun and has some uses but I dont know if its wise to make rash judgements on someones overall experience level or worth as a person because of it.
I'm actually not judging SephTR for his peak count; I'm judging him for his completely insensitive noob comment.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Mtnman200 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:38 am
Rollie Free wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:43 am While I certainly dont defend the noob comment, it was terribly insensitive, do we really have to rush to someones bag count, judge them, then make comments?
This board is the epitomy of ill informed credentialism. The count is kind of fun and has some uses but I dont know if its wise to make rash judgements on someones overall experience level or worth as a person because of it.
I'm actually not judging SephTR for his peak count; I'm judging him for his completely insensitive noob comment.
+1. This almost has to be a troll. Honestly why else would someone make a comment like that?
It is one thing to try to learn from other's mistakes (even fatal ones) in a respectful manner.
Quite another to dismiss and/or discredit anyone based on peak totals.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Wildernessjane wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:56 am Yeah, I saw that. This is really not surprising but my point was that even experienced folks can slip and fall. If you think you are immune to it because you have twelve 14ers under your belt then that could be a problem, in my humble opinion. Also, we don’t know anything about this woman’s experience. Just because she was included in an article about the number of rescues and deaths as more people are getting into the backcountry doesn’t mean she was a “Noob”.
I agree. Accidents can happen anytime, even to very experienced hikers. Plenty of mountain climbing greats perished doing harder routes than I every will. It's not like they were inexperienced, and I doubt Anatoli Boukareev was unprepared, for example. Even in Colorado, a venerated individual in this Community, who had climbed every 14er and most 13ers lost their life on a repeat. If we convince ourself person X died because they made a stupid mistake and we'd never make that mistake, we're deluding ourselves. Be prepared, be aware, accept some risk while trying to minimoze it, and be grateful for the days we have in the mountains.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

SephTR wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:14 pmNoob
Douche
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Prayers for comfort and strength for Cassie’s family and friends. May she rest in peace forever, and may her memory always be a blessing.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Such a shame to hear about this.

I won't speculate on the how/what/why's but what I can say is even on the standard Whitney Main Trail, if conditions are cold, snowy and/or dark it can be very disorienting even for someone experienced in the mountains.
From what I understand she was just going for an afternoon quick day hike, not a summit climb and slipped and fell not that far out from the Portal and was apparently just off the trail.
Most people expecting to be on a short ~1hr hike probably won't be bringing a pack filled with the normal layers and additional gear you'd bring for a lengthy summit climb or late Autumn ascent.

I've been on the rock there in many different weather scenarios and when it's iced over, the ice is often not evident and its easy to slip even on route, if you stray off route even a few feet
you're likely to encounter cliff bands with 50-100ft or more drops. This area is often at a transition point where ice starts where even if you brought microspikes you might not put them on yet.
Accidents happen to the best of us and they usually begin with a simple slip or trip which then isn't stopped. I'd say 100% of us have had seemingly innocent "trips" or "slips" in the mountains at some point.

The fact that she survived two nights out before succumbing, after falling and very possibly seriously injured and scared, with minimal food and water, wearing summer clothes in below freezing temps / negative windchill in an approaching storm
tells me she was a tough determined person.

RIP Cassandra. To her friends and family, our thoughts are with you.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Wildernessjane wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:56 am but my point was that even experienced folks can slip and fall.
I fully support that position and didn't intend to post the article as an offset to your point. I should have narrowed my quote to make that clear.

Rocks move, feet slip and snow slides...and more time in the field increases the likelihood of that happening. Paraphrasing Steve Gladbach.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

Gotta love how the troll makes one comment and then never returns, only reading what everyone else has to say about their insensitive/rude/immature/douchey comment... what a miserable existence he/she must live.
Hooray187
14ers: 33 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hooray187 »

May she rest in peace.
SephTR
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SephTR »

Mtnman200 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:29 pm
How very compassionate of you. Do you consider someone with only 12 14er ascents to be a noob? I certainly do.
I’ll have you know I’m a Sierra Nevada hiker
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

SephTR wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:39 pm
How very compassionate of you. Do you consider someone with only 12 14er ascents to be a noob? I certainly do.
OK. That doesn’t fix your personality defects, however.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

SephTR wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:39 pm
Wow. So that fixes everything. Someone died and you're making judgments on them and then trying to justify it with your experience as a "Sierra Nevada hiker". You're a giant pile of shït.