"near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
nunns
14ers: 41
13ers: 4

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by nunns » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:45 am

mtn_hound wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:31 pm

Nobody here said science has all the answers as far as I'm aware, nor that it is the only interpretation for anything and everything. It's actually not really an interpretation of anything, just one way of thinking and organizing information. There are certainly other ways to do that. Science can't even tell us what's true; what it is very good at is telling us what is not true. There's nothing wrong with identifying and calling things out that are demonstrably false, or in the case of the current discussion, which of two competing ideas has more evidence to support it. No good scientist would say intelligent design (or any other religious, spiritual, or other "non-scientific" idea) is false. What they would say is "show me the evidence that it's true". We're all free to believe whatever we want to believe, for whatever reasons we want to believe it.
I certainly agree with what you are saying, especially your first statement. But there are plenty of people out there IN THE SCIENCE COMMUNITY that would tell you that if science can't measure something then it doesn't really exist. The percentage of athiests in the elite levels of science is much, much higher than in the general community. That is not (necessarily) a condemnation, but just a statement of the way things are. A lot of elite scientists DO believe that science has all of the answers, or at least all of the answers that are available.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
cedica
14ers: List not added

Post by cedica » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:48 am

nunns wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:03 am
I read a book by two complete athiests who disagree with Darwinian evolution.
That must be because Darwin's views were formed while he was deeply religious man.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:51 am

nunns wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:45 am
I certainly agree with what you are saying, especially your first statement. But there are plenty of people out there IN THE SCIENCE COMMUNITY that would tell you that if science can't measure something then it doesn't really exist.
Wut?

I'm "in the science community" and have never, ever, heard anyone say anything even remotely suggestive of this.
CaptCO
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:51 am

If ya'll don't contribute to conditions reports or hiking info, then keep the f***ing politics out of the forum. weird old men
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:00 am

CaptCO wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:51 am
If ya'll don't contribute to conditions reports or hiking info, then keep the f***ing politics out of the forum. weird old men
Pipe down you antagonistic little turd.
shelly+
14ers: 30 3

Post by shelly+ » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:00 am

Dave B wrote:
nunns wrote:
I certainly agree with what you are saying, especially your first statement. But there are plenty of people out there IN THE SCIENCE COMMUNITY that would tell you that if science can't measure something then it doesn't really exist.
Wut?

I'm "in the science community" and have never, ever, heard anyone say anything even remotely suggestive of this.
i took it that you were arguing that measurement validates the truths of science (and if something exists) when you said this in our previous discussion on science:

"All natural science fields rely on either statistical correlations - linear or not - or process-based models that represent the underlying physics in a structured way. Randomness contributes to, but does not drive, processes and often times what we consider "random" is due to poor understanding of underlying driving factors, or an inability to measure them."
CaptCO
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:02 am

Dave B wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:00 am
CaptCO wrote:
Pipe down you antagonistic little turd.
:twisted:
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
shelly+
14ers: 30 3

Post by shelly+ » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:04 am

CaptCO wrote:
cause you've ALWAYS ONLY contributed hiking info and conditions reports, eh? and that's "yes, sir, Miss Shelly" to you. :)
CaptCO
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:06 am

shelly+ wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:04 am
CaptCO wrote:
cause you've ALWAYS ONLY contributed hiking info and conditions reports, eh? and that's "yes, sir, Miss Shelly" to you. :)
I actually identify as a pencil nowadays

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:10 am

shelly+ wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:00 am
Dave B wrote:
nunns wrote:
Wut?

i took it that you were arguing that measurement validates the truths of science (and if something exists) when you said this in our previous discussion on science:

"All natural science fields rely on either statistical correlations - linear or not - or process-based models that represent the underlying physics in a structured way. Randomness contributes to, but does not drive, processes and often times what we consider "random" is due to poor understanding of underlying driving factors, or an inability to measure them."
Random != "doesn't exist"
cedica

Post by cedica » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:39 am

CaptCO wrote:
It was 27 degrees in central NJ this morning. I think I'm gunna wait till tomorrow to crush 35 miles hilly loop, first time in bib tights this fall. Wanna come?
CaptCO
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:40 am

cedica wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:39 am
CaptCO wrote:
It was 27 degrees in central NJ this morning. I think I'm gunna wait till tomorrow to crush 35 miles hilly loop, first time in bib tights this fall. Wanna come?
My government told me I'm not allowed to travel or visit family for Thanksgiving. Sorry :(
Jerseys a shithole anyways

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes