"near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by ezabielski »

Bill needs to shut the forum down between November and May. This is embarrassing.
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

What is this? Y'all need to keep your opinionated BS on the social media built for you, Facebook, etc. No one comes to 14'ers to read your overblown opinions on non-mountaineering subjects. I'm happy to read your opinions on routes, equipment, weather, etc. On these other BS topics, you all do realize you'll a) never change anyone's mind and, b) no one is payng any attention to what you're writing.
Rudy can't fail.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

shelly+ wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:08 pm (...) the new priests of the new religion of scientific explanation (...)
I'll cry foul here: it is not fair to label something as a religion, if it cannot be tax exempt. [-X

(See bro, I pay attention.)
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

shelly+ wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:08 pm
mtn_hound wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:43 pm
nunns wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:02 am

the idea that (unlike every other theory in the history of science) no one can question Darwinian evolution as the sole explanation for the diversity of life on earth.

Sean Nunn
Well that's a gross misrepresentation of the general thinking of the scientific community. Of course it can be questioned, all scientific theories can and should be tested continuously, and evolution is no exception. The fact is, evolution by natural selection has largely stood up to 150 years or so of such tests. No other explanation for the diversity of life on earth has survived similar scrutiny. Anybody who tells you differently is either misinformed or trolling you. If you believe intelligent design should be taught in public schools, I would imagine you get trolled a lot.
the trouble in my mind is that science is held as THE ONLY interpretation for anything and everything, and if you disagree with the findings of the new priests of the new religion of scientific explanation, then you should be burned at the stake. why does it matter? because the narrow lens of science excludes so many other possible ways of interpreting the world, and i don't even include religion in those possibilities.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I read a book by two complete athiests who disagree with Darwinian evolution.
Not to mention of course those who disagree with it as the explanation for all life because it conflicts with their "religious" beliefs.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

highpilgrim wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:25 am Being on the voter roll does not mean you actually voted. It's just a contrivance to help tell the next version of The Story.
cool-story-bro.jpg
cool-story-bro.jpg (26.13 KiB) Viewed 5336 times

Bill is still allowing political troll posts on what was allegedly a website about mountains?

The election was two weeks ago. Let's enjoy the Biden victory, he's gonna govern like it's George W's third term.

P.S. war is good business, invest your sons.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
Brian Thomas
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

Brian Thomas wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:12 am P.S. war is good business, invest your sons.
peace-through-strength.jpg
peace-through-strength.jpg (50.94 KiB) Viewed 5331 times
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
Brian Thomas
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

Brian Thomas wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:17 am P.S. war is good business, invest your sons.
drones.jpeg
drones.jpeg (146.24 KiB) Viewed 5320 times
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

mtn_hound wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:31 pm
Nobody here said science has all the answers as far as I'm aware, nor that it is the only interpretation for anything and everything. It's actually not really an interpretation of anything, just one way of thinking and organizing information. There are certainly other ways to do that. Science can't even tell us what's true; what it is very good at is telling us what is not true. There's nothing wrong with identifying and calling things out that are demonstrably false, or in the case of the current discussion, which of two competing ideas has more evidence to support it. No good scientist would say intelligent design (or any other religious, spiritual, or other "non-scientific" idea) is false. What they would say is "show me the evidence that it's true". We're all free to believe whatever we want to believe, for whatever reasons we want to believe it.
I certainly agree with what you are saying, especially your first statement. But there are plenty of people out there IN THE SCIENCE COMMUNITY that would tell you that if science can't measure something then it doesn't really exist. The percentage of athiests in the elite levels of science is much, much higher than in the general community. That is not (necessarily) a condemnation, but just a statement of the way things are. A lot of elite scientists DO believe that science has all of the answers, or at least all of the answers that are available.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

nunns wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:03 am I read a book by two complete athiests who disagree with Darwinian evolution.
That must be because Darwin's views were formed while he was deeply religious man.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

nunns wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:45 am I certainly agree with what you are saying, especially your first statement. But there are plenty of people out there IN THE SCIENCE COMMUNITY that would tell you that if science can't measure something then it doesn't really exist.
Wut?

I'm "in the science community" and have never, ever, heard anyone say anything even remotely suggestive of this.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

CaptCO wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:51 am If ya'll don't contribute to conditions reports or hiking info, then keep the f***ing politics out of the forum. weird old men
Pipe down you antagonistic little turd.
Make wilderness less accessible.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

Dave B wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:51 am
nunns wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:45 am I certainly agree with what you are saying, especially your first statement. But there are plenty of people out there IN THE SCIENCE COMMUNITY that would tell you that if science can't measure something then it doesn't really exist.
Wut?

I'm "in the science community" and have never, ever, heard anyone say anything even remotely suggestive of this.
i took it that you were arguing that measurement validates the truths of science (and if something exists) when you said this in our previous discussion on science:

"All natural science fields rely on either statistical correlations - linear or not - or process-based models that represent the underlying physics in a structured way. Randomness contributes to, but does not drive, processes and often times what we consider "random" is due to poor understanding of underlying driving factors, or an inability to measure them."