"near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
hellmanm
Posts: 188
Joined: 8/5/2014
14ers: 33
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (2)

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by hellmanm » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:32 pm

nunns wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:03 pm
hellmanm wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:37 am
There's a reason I put the qualifier of "without the training or knowledge to do so". Asking questions is the mark of a critical thinker, but there can be stupid questions.
I am glad that I don't fit your criteria, since I have a degree in biology, a master's degree in science education, and have read literally thousands of pages of information on both sides of the evolution/intelligent design debate.

I will say that one of the ways that people attempt to silence naysayers is by calling them "stupid".

Sean Nunn
If you have a graduate degree in science education, then you should know better than to float intelligent design as a viable alternative to evolution. I in no way called you stupid; I called your question stupid. Again, if you possess these credentials, you should be able to discern the difference between an attack on a position and an attack on a person. I also noticed that you failed to address my main criticism, which is that this thread is not the appropriate venue for a debate on evolution. If you post something controversial on a thread concerning a touchy subject, don't be surprised if you receive some pushback.
nunns
Posts: 1109
Joined: 8/17/2018
14ers: 41
13ers: 4

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by nunns » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:51 pm

hellmanm wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:32 pm
nunns wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:03 pm
hellmanm wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:37 am
There's a reason I put the qualifier of "without the training or knowledge to do so". Asking questions is the mark of a critical thinker, but there can be stupid questions.
I am glad that I don't fit your criteria, since I have a degree in biology, a master's degree in science education, and have read literally thousands of pages of information on both sides of the evolution/intelligent design debate.

I will say that one of the ways that people attempt to silence naysayers is by calling them "stupid".

Sean Nunn
If you have a graduate degree in science education, then you should know better than to float intelligent design as a viable alternative to evolution. I in no way called you stupid; I called your question stupid. Again, if you possess these credentials, you should be able to discern the difference between an attack on a position and an attack on a person. I also noticed that you failed to address my main criticism, which is that this thread is not the appropriate venue for a debate on evolution. If you post something controversial on a thread concerning a touchy subject, don't be surprised if you receive some pushback.
Now you are using the argument that if I don't agree with the standard theory, then I couldn't possibly have the degree that I say I have. That is essentially an attack on my person: either I agree with you, or I am lying about my "credentials".

But you are right; this is not the place for a debate about evolution.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
User avatar
climbingcue
Posts: 546
Joined: 10/11/2011
14ers: 58 7 17
13ers: 132 8 9

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by climbingcue » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:54 pm

cedica wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:58 am
And we can be hillier than thou.
A great bike race...
Consecutive months with at least one 14er, 38 months and counting...
nunns
Posts: 1109
Joined: 8/17/2018
14ers: 41
13ers: 4

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by nunns » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:21 pm

Dave B wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:51 am
nunns wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:45 am
I certainly agree with what you are saying, especially your first statement. But there are plenty of people out there IN THE SCIENCE COMMUNITY that would tell you that if science can't measure something then it doesn't really exist.
Wut?

I'm "in the science community" and have never, ever, heard anyone say anything even remotely suggestive of this.
You are right; thank you for helping me clarify my thinking. A more accurate statement would be that there are plenty of people in the scientific community that would tell you that they only believe in things that science can measure or somehow observe. Which is different and a reasonable position, although I disagree with it.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
User avatar
Rollie Free
Posts: 368
Joined: 6/8/2012
14ers: 37

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by Rollie Free » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:27 pm

I have observed Sean Nunn's posts for probably over five years. He is one of the most humble, gentle posters around. I remember having some correspondence a few years back and despite just a brief back and forth conversation invited me to climb with his group. He regularly brings out young people to share in the experience.
From all appearances a really good guy.
I am on this board way too much but try to keep my posts to a minimum. However I felt compelled to comment.
Reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic.
User avatar
highpilgrim
Posts: 3069
Joined: 3/14/2008
14ers: 58
13ers: 82 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by highpilgrim » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:56 pm

Rollie Free wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:27 pm
From all appearances a really good guy.
Appearances aren’t everything.

But seriously, Sean from Raytown, MO, is ok by me, even if he’s often confused.

We’re living in the Land of Confusion anyway, so likely it’s irrelevant that he is.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
User avatar
Plugugly
Posts: 66
Joined: 12/10/2018
14ers: List not added

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by Plugugly » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:17 am

:)
Rollie Free wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:27 pm
I have observed Sean Nunn's posts for probably over five years. He is one of the most humble, gentle posters around. I remember having some correspondence a few years back and despite just a brief back and forth conversation invited me to climb with his group. He regularly brings out young people to share in the experience.
From all appearances a really good guy.
I am on this board way too much but try to keep my posts to a minimum. However I felt compelled to comment.
Rudy can't fail.
User avatar
cottonmountaineering
Posts: 615
Joined: 5/11/2018
14ers: 58 6 18
13ers: 168 29 28

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by cottonmountaineering » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:19 am

Rollie Free wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:27 pm
I have observed Sean Nunn's posts for probably over five years. He is one of the most humble, gentle posters around. I remember having some correspondence a few years back and despite just a brief back and forth conversation invited me to climb with his group. He regularly brings out young people to share in the experience.
From all appearances a really good guy.
I am on this board way too much but try to keep my posts to a minimum. However I felt compelled to comment.
sean nunn is the salt of the earth
User avatar
CaptCO
Posts: 1769
Joined: 7/14/2019
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)
Contact:

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by CaptCO » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:22 am

Nunns is good in my book, if that means anything
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
nunns
Posts: 1109
Joined: 8/17/2018
14ers: 41
13ers: 4

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by nunns » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:35 am

CaptCO wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:22 am
Nunns is good in my book, if that means anything
Awww, I feel special. You're probably just saying that because you passed me up in total posts a little while ago.
:-D


Just for clarification, I am not a fragile snowflake. Nothing anyone posts on here about me or my beliefs bothers me. And I don't regularly share my "religious" beliefs on here (OK, my tag line is an exception) because this is a climbing/hiking forum. There are lots of people on here whose beliefs on certain things I disagree with, but whom I still respect (Pilgrim and Dave B come to mind immediately). But there are some things I just can't let go without a comment.

Hope that you all have a great Thanksgiving. If you are blessed enough to be able to climb something next week, count yourself lucky. There isn't much in my part of Missouri to climb besides a few small hills and some stadium steps. Pilgrim at least has the Arch to climb.....

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
SephTR
Posts: 41
Joined: 3/5/2018
14ers: 12

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by SephTR » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:05 pm

Imagine being on the verge of death for hours and no one even cares because they can only argue the same argument that’s been going on for millennia
User avatar
sunny1
Posts: 1077
Joined: 9/14/2008
14ers: 58 4
13ers: 183 6
Trip Reports (3)

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by sunny1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:45 am

Been away from the forum for a few days.
Was amazed to see there are over 90 posts about ECMO.
I had no idea so many held such passion for ECMO! #-o :lol:
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
Post Reply