"near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
shelly+
Posts: 413
Joined: 6/15/2018
14ers: 30 3

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by shelly+ » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:30 pm

mtn_hound wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:31 pm
No good scientist would say intelligent design (or any other religious, spiritual, or other "non-scientific" idea) is false. What they would say is "show me the evidence that it's true".
that's just it. scientists only accept scientific evidence as true evidence. that's my objection. and i see it on this forum A LOT.

and there's a contradiction in your point. you say that science is good at telling us what's not true. and then you say in order for you to believe an argument, one must "show you the evidence that it's true".
Last edited by shelly+ on Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
shelly+
Posts: 413
Joined: 6/15/2018
14ers: 30 3

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by shelly+ » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:32 pm

mtnkub wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:28 pm
Seeking enlightenment beyond the realms of science maybe worthwhile. But so is sticking to science in science class.
point taken. lol
mtn_hound
Posts: 123
Joined: 9/15/2016
14ers: List not added

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by mtn_hound » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:56 pm

shelly+ wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:30 pm
mtn_hound wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:31 pm
No good scientist would say intelligent design (or any other religious, spiritual, or other "non-scientific" idea) is false. What they would say is "show me the evidence that it's true".
that's just it. scientists only accept scientific evidence as true evidence. that's my objection. and i see it on this forum A LOT.

and there's a contradiction in your point. you say that science is good at telling us what's not true. and then you say in order for you to believe an argument, one must "show you the evidence that it's true".
That's not actually what I said. You added "In order for you to believe an argument", which is a requirement that I intentionally omitted because it isn't what I think. I can only speak for myself, but saying "show me the evidence that it's true" is the start, not the end, of a discussion (not of an argument).
User avatar
shelly+
Posts: 413
Joined: 6/15/2018
14ers: 30 3

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by shelly+ » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:26 pm

mtn_hound wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:56 pm
I can only speak for myself, but saying "show me the evidence that it's true" is the start, not the end, of a discussion (not of an argument).
i like that. end of discussion. :)
User avatar
ezabielski
Posts: 731
Joined: 7/13/2012
14ers: 43 1
13ers: 8

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by ezabielski » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:27 pm

Bill needs to shut the forum down between November and May. This is embarrassing.
User avatar
Plugugly
Posts: 66
Joined: 12/10/2018
14ers: List not added

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by Plugugly » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:26 am

What is this? Y'all need to keep your opinionated BS on the social media built for you, Facebook, etc. No one comes to 14'ers to read your overblown opinions on non-mountaineering subjects. I'm happy to read your opinions on routes, equipment, weather, etc. On these other BS topics, you all do realize you'll a) never change anyone's mind and, b) no one is payng any attention to what you're writing.
Rudy can't fail.
User avatar
CaptCO
Posts: 1769
Joined: 7/14/2019
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)
Contact:

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by CaptCO » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:31 am

Plugugly wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:26 am
What is this? Y'all need to keep your opinionated BS on the social media built for you, Facebook, etc. No one comes to 14'ers to read your overblown opinions on non-mountaineering subjects. I'm happy to read your opinions on routes, equipment, weather, etc. On these other BS topics, you all do realize you'll a) never change anyone's mind and, b) no one is payng any attention to what you're writing.
Why you mad bro
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
User avatar
cedica
Posts: 438
Joined: 6/25/2014
14ers: List not added

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by cedica » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:52 am

shelly+ wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:08 pm
(...) the new priests of the new religion of scientific explanation (...)
I'll cry foul here: it is not fair to label something as a religion, if it cannot be tax exempt. [-X

(See bro, I pay attention.)
nunns
Posts: 1113
Joined: 8/17/2018
14ers: 41
13ers: 4

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by nunns » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:03 am

shelly+ wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:08 pm
mtn_hound wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:43 pm
nunns wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:02 am


the idea that (unlike every other theory in the history of science) no one can question Darwinian evolution as the sole explanation for the diversity of life on earth.

Sean Nunn
Well that's a gross misrepresentation of the general thinking of the scientific community. Of course it can be questioned, all scientific theories can and should be tested continuously, and evolution is no exception. The fact is, evolution by natural selection has largely stood up to 150 years or so of such tests. No other explanation for the diversity of life on earth has survived similar scrutiny. Anybody who tells you differently is either misinformed or trolling you. If you believe intelligent design should be taught in public schools, I would imagine you get trolled a lot.
the trouble in my mind is that science is held as THE ONLY interpretation for anything and everything, and if you disagree with the findings of the new priests of the new religion of scientific explanation, then you should be burned at the stake. why does it matter? because the narrow lens of science excludes so many other possible ways of interpreting the world, and i don't even include religion in those possibilities.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I read a book by two complete athiests who disagree with Darwinian evolution.
Not to mention of course those who disagree with it as the explanation for all life because it conflicts with their "religious" beliefs.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
User avatar
Brian Thomas
Posts: 896
Joined: 4/1/2010
14ers: 58 9
13ers: 124
Trip Reports (10)
Contact:

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by Brian Thomas » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:12 am

highpilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:25 am
Being on the voter roll does not mean you actually voted. It's just a contrivance to help tell the next version of The Story.
cool-story-bro.jpg
cool-story-bro.jpg (26.13 KiB) Viewed 926 times

Bill is still allowing political troll posts on what was allegedly a website about mountains?

The election was two weeks ago. Let's enjoy the Biden victory, he's gonna govern like it's George W's third term.

P.S. war is good business, invest your sons.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
User avatar
Brian Thomas
Posts: 896
Joined: 4/1/2010
14ers: 58 9
13ers: 124
Trip Reports (10)
Contact:

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by Brian Thomas » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:17 am

Brian Thomas wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:12 am
P.S. war is good business, invest your sons.
peace-through-strength.jpg
peace-through-strength.jpg (50.94 KiB) Viewed 921 times
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
User avatar
Brian Thomas
Posts: 896
Joined: 4/1/2010
14ers: 58 9
13ers: 124
Trip Reports (10)
Contact:

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by Brian Thomas » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:20 am

Brian Thomas wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:17 am
P.S. war is good business, invest your sons.
drones.jpeg
drones.jpeg (146.24 KiB) Viewed 910 times
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
Post Reply