"near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by rijaca »

nunns wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:49 am Spoofing the belief system of millions of people is another story. I will pray for you sir. Someone must have hurt you severely to make you this way.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

He's not quite dead. Like some of those "dead" voters.

Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

highpilgrim wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:04 am He's not quite dead. Like some of those "dead" voters.

Maybe some of them. I'm pretty sure the ones they found on the voter rolls that were born in the 1800's ARE dead. If not I want to know their secrets to living to 120+.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

nunns wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:49 am
HikerGuy wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:34 am
CaptCO wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:53 am

I need to start Wake N Baking with this guy
Clearly, you have not been touched by his noodly appendage. He boiled for your sins.
https://www.spaghettimonster.org

Being an unbeliever/agnostic/athiest is one thing and I can respect that.
Spoofing the belief system of millions of people is another story. I will pray for you sir. Someone must have hurt you severely to make you this way.

Sean Nunn
I posted a link to a reference made by a poster. I do not go around judging people, I'm am clearly not the one who is hurt.
Last edited by HikerGuy on Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Many paths to enlightenment ladies/gentlemen/tortellinis
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

ECMO is 20-plus-year-old technology that, as said above, has saved a lot of lives and been used extensively in pedi medicine. Sounds like this young man took advantage of the full spectrum available to him: technology, medical skill, rescue skill, and the helping hand of the Lord.
[/quote]

Warren Zapol, MD was a pioneer in the development of ECMO in the early 1970s while a resident at MGH.
In 1977 my sister-in-law's husband, a first year medical student at Boston University, was placed on ECMO by Dr. Zapol
after developing ARDS following a motorcycle injury. Those were more primitive times and he died despite ECMO. Dr. Zapol published a trial study in 1979 and showed that while ECMO improved gas exchange in patients with ARDS it did not improve survival. Of course, science and technology have advanced and many patients now survive from respiratory failure after being placed on ECMO.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

nunns wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:50 am
Maybe some of them. I'm pretty sure the ones they found on the voter rolls that were born in the 1800's ARE dead. If not I want to know their secrets to living to 120+.

Sean Nunn
Being on the voter roll does not mean you actually voted. It's just a contrivance to help tell the next version of The Story.

I'm still listed as an NRA member but I can assure you I'm not and haven't been for years.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:53 am

I need to start Wake N Baking with this guy
Clearly, you have not been touched by his noodly appendage. He boiled for your sins.

Spoofing the belief system of millions of people is another story. I will pray for you sir. Someone must have hurt you severely to make you this way.

Sean Nunn
seems pretty rude to assume somebody's belief system is a "spoof" just because YOU think it sounds silly.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 104 14 5
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Jorts »

timisimaginary wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:36 am

Sean Nunn
seems pretty rude to assume somebody's belief system is a "spoof" just because YOU think it sounds silly.
Dang man. Backup the truck. I never talk about religion unless the subject is broached by someone else. Everything should be questioned. This leads to progress in technology, sociology, everything. If you can't defend criticism of your belief system with evidence to support it, than maybe you should consider adopting a different belief system. I never did understand why religions, irrespective of which, held themselves to be sacred and above critical inquiry. That whole premise just seems ridiculous. Are you going to accept that the world's flat or only thousands of years old, and shut yourself off from evidence to the contrary?

That's all I have to say on the subject. One is free to believe what he/she wants but that doesn't mean others aren't free to question it.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Jorts wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:51 am
LoneStar wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:40 pm and the helping hand of the Lord.
Certain it wasn't the assistive pasta tentacles of the spaghetti monster?
I also generally bristle when people apply their beliefs to other people's mountaineering accidents, especially when it involves a bunch of people (SAR, doctors, etc.) making incredible sacrifices, and/or the fact that some wonderful people do have terrible (even fatal) accidents.

However, consider this specific case:
He said he spends a lot of time doing volunteer work at the Salvation Army Food Bank in Seattle and building houses for foster children through Overlake Christian Church in Redmond.
The evidence is that the person had similar beliefs and faith, and it would be more wrong and serve no purpose (IMHO) to argue against that faith in this context. Despite my own beliefs, I'd say it's more wrong to question or project different beliefs onto someone's own personal experience. I'm glad he's OK and it's a wonderful outcome.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

The Flying Spaghetti Monster is not a true religious belief, but a spoof of intelliigent design/Christian beliefs, as it says on the sidebar of the page referenced in this thread:

"An elaborate spoof on Intelligent Design,"

I don't use 14ers.com to try to convert others to Christianity. I don't think that was the goal of the poster who gave God credit either. You are free to disagree with God having any part in the rescue of this guy, and that's fine. I just fail to understand why anyone needs to use a mountain climbing website to make fun of Christianity, unless they have a real ax (adze?) to grind for some reason. If that is the case, please take that up somewhere else. I would be happy to have a conversation with you about it.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

nunns wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:16 am The Flying Spaghetti Monster is not a true religious belief, but a spoof of intelliigent design/Christian beliefs
Hm, I would much object to equating christianity (a religious belief system) with intelligent design (a pseudo-science with a largely anti science sentiment and intent).