Grand Canyon Fatality

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Grand Canyon Fatality

Post by painless4u2 »

Catherine Houe, 49 from Daly City, California died from apparent heat-related cause. It was 114 at Phantom Ranch that day. Heat exhaustion and heat stroke are serious and all too easy to find yourself suffering from during the summer. I've nearly been there myself. Please be careful out there. My condolences to her family.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/news/hik ... 6-2020.htm
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Grand Canyon Fatality

Post by nunns »

Very sad.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

The Corridor Trails in the Grand Canyon anyon have killed almost twice as many people as Everest, about seven times the number as K2, and about six times the number of people as Denali.
As far as trails or routes go, the Corridor Trails have more deaths than any other routes in the United States, both technical and non-technical. By number of deaths, the Bright Angel Trail and South Kaibab Trails kill more than any mountain in the North America.

A large number of those deaths are from heat and/or dehydration. You can dress for the cold, but not the heat.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

GC is sneaky. The rim feels pretty good and before you know it you’re 5k down in the Ditch in 110f temps. I love that place, but no bueno June - Sep. RIP.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Yeah, I did a rim to rim many years ago and it was downright chilly on the North Rim at the start, 105 in May at Phantom Ranch. I distinctly remember seeing some ill equipped hikers (sandals, a single water bottle) traipsing down to the river, it's obviously easy to go downhill. But man, that slog out is tough, almost no shade the whole way. Condolences to the hiker's family.

Fwiw, I've had one encounter with heat exhaustion, legit heat exhaustion, not just "I'm hot and thirsty." Scary stuff, esp when solo. I learned that electrolytes are your friend, just guzzling lots of water can create as many problems as it solves. Be careful out there.

-Tom
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

TomPierce wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:29 pm Yeah, I did a rim to rim many years ago and it was downright chilly on the North Rim at the start, 105 in May at Phantom Ranch. I distinctly remember seeing some ill equipped hikers (sandals, a single water bottle) traipsing down to the river, it's obviously easy to go downhill. But man, that slog out is tough, almost no shade the whole way. Condolences to the hiker's family.

Fwiw, I've had one encounter with heat exhaustion, legit heat exhaustion, not just "I'm hot and thirsty." Scary stuff, esp when solo. I learned that electrolytes are your friend, just guzzling lots of water can create as many problems as it solves. Be careful out there.

-Tom
Exactly. When we did it there was snow on the North Rim and over 100 at the river. I foolishly thought drinking tons of water was enough and felt sloshing inside with each step, but felt terrible. Electrolytes are really essential, I found. The "reverse mountain" nature of the canyon can be deceiving. Sadly, this woman was still going downhill.
In Guadalupe Mountains, I too experienced some scary stuff: stopped sweating, started getting chills, very dizzy, and getting confused. Too close!
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9