South Maroon Fatality 7/10/19

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

South Maroon Fatality 7/10/19

Post by AnnaG22 »

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/man-die ... he-season/

Sad to read this. A lot of snow still hanging around this year. My condolences to the friends and family.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
yardman
14ers: 48  2  3 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Re: South Maroon Fatality 7/10/19

Post by yardman »

CFI just released the following video about climbing in the Elks. We can't reinforce enough how dangerous these peaks can be--especially the Maroon Bells, which have seen more fatalities than any other of the Elks. Condolences to the family and friends. Let's be safe out there. [YouTubeVideo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9jNWzAj_j4[/YouTubeVideo]
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Sad news - here's the embedded vid:

kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

justiner wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:49 pm Sad news - here's the embedded vid:

For anyone who has never climbed in the Elks but plan on going there please take 4 minutes of your time to watch this video. The Elks always give me a healthy dose of fear when I head there and there are several big reasons why.

Im really sorry to hear about this. Rest in Peace!
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
Mike Shepherd
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mike Shepherd »

If that report is accurate then he apparently fell descending the 2800 ft of suck. I guess I always felt that area was not too dangerous, but this altars to prove otherwise.
Friends don't let friends wear microspikes
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

At the 1:25 minute in the video the guy talks about wet slabs that become slick like roof tiles. Take this to heart!
I was on Pyramid just this past Wednesday. On the descent I found myself looking at a large slab, the texture was unusually slick looking, almost like it had been polished. It was about 12 feet square with a break in the middle and inclined at only 20 degrees or so. I tested it with my boot and decided to crab walk down, just to be safe. Even with friction from my gloved hands, feet and ass, it was all I could do to stick to that slab. Almost like ice. A very peculiar feeling indeed. This totally innoccuous looking feature in an instant had me on the edge of losing control in slow motion. One of the stranger experiences I have had in many trips to the Elks.

Condolence to the family and friends of the victim.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

Wentzl wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:32 am I tested it with my boot and decided to crab walk down, just to be safe. Even with friction from my gloved hands, feet and ass, it was all I could do to stick to that slab. Almost like ice.
Curious why you didn’t face in to downclimb? Were you wearing crampons?
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

Wentzl wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:32 am a large slab, the texture was unusually slick looking, almost like it had been polished.
Shale tends to do that.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Mike Shepherd wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:53 pm If that report is accurate then he apparently fell descending the 2800 ft of suck. I guess I always felt that area was not too dangerous, but this altars to prove otherwise.
With all the snow still present, those slopes could be quite dangerous indeed.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
MyFeetHurt
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MyFeetHurt »

Yup. I turned back on that slope after a fresh dusting once, it was not benign even though it looks to be.