Accident on Skywalker (S. Arapaho Peak)

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
BColo
Trip Reports (0)

Accident on Skywalker (S. Arapaho Peak)

Post by BColo »

peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Accident on Skywalker (S. Arapaho Peak)

Post by peter303 »

Another link

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/06/11/b ... er-rescue/

At 7:30 AM the snow field was probably very icy. You avoid potholing, but may need traction.
mrgooseskin
14ers: 27 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mrgooseskin »

The accident happened while descending from the peak, and not in Skywalker itself. I decided to take the trail down while my other two partners decided to descend more directly into the valley via snow slopes and talus hopping. By the time I reached the trees and began walking down towards the TH, one of my partners yelled down to me from above stating our other partner had fallen, was gravely injured, and needed an evac. Commence epic 5.5 hour rescue.

Really hoping he'll pull through. It's going to be a long and painful recovery for him.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

mrgooseskin wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:50 am The accident happened while descending from the peak, and not in Skywalker itself. I decided to take the trail down while my other two partners decided to descend more directly into the valley via snow slopes and talus hopping. By the time I reached the trees and began walking down towards the TH, one of my partners yelled down to me from above stating our other partner had fallen, was gravely injured, and needed an evac. Commence epic 5.5 hour rescue.

Really hoping he'll pull through. It's going to be a long and painful recovery for him.
Thanks for the update. Hoping for the best.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Woj is a tough dude. Man, really hoping for the best!

Luckily he was with 2 other experienced folk.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

If nothing else, a good reminder that even with a beacon activation, a helicopter, and being very close to Boulder/Denver, that a rescue can take 4+ hours. Be prepared with gear for a long painful wait.

Hope the injured guy heals up and is able to get back out there.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

mrgooseskin wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:50 am The accident happened while descending from the peak, and not in Skywalker itself. I decided to take the trail down while my other two partners decided to descend more directly into the valley via snow slopes and talus hopping. By the time I reached the trees and began walking down towards the TH, one of my partners yelled down to me from above stating our other partner had fallen, was gravely injured, and needed an evac. Commence epic 5.5 hour rescue.

Sorry to hear about the accident. Thank you to those involved in the rescue operation. Wishing the best for the climber and all involved, and hoping to hear good news soon that he's on his way to recovery.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
BendExile
14ers: 47 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BendExile »

I was rescued by Rocky Mountain Rescue in August of 2012 in the same area following an ill advised ignorant decision to take a short cut while descending South Arapaho Peak. I fell about 15 feet while trying to descend from a cliffed out area. I fractured my ankle but was fortunate enough to land on a ledge. If I had missed the ledge, I probably would have fallen at least 100 feet. Rocky Mountain Rescue carried me out on a litter. Their work was amazing. I am extremely grateful and have tried to provide them a generous donation on a regular basis. I encourage others to do so. it took me about 6 months to recover. Since then I have climbed South Arapaho Peak yearly to commemorate my rescue. I have been careful to descend via the standard route. My accident was an important lesson for me to stay on route even on "easy peaks". If you don't take the standard route descending South Arapaho Peak, you may end up cliffing out and have an epic adventure like me. I hope things turn out well for the climber involved in the recent accident.