Missing Climber on Longs Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Missing Climber on Longs Peak

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

From Estes Park News, Inc facebook page-
" News from RMNP...
Search In Longs Peak Area For Overdue Man
Last night, Tuesday, August 28, Rocky Mountain National Park rangers were notified by a family member that Jens “Jay” Yambert, 60, of Urbana, Illinois, was overdue. Yambert is believed to have started from the Longs Peak Trailhead at 2 p.m. on Sunday, August 26. His rental car was found at the trailhead last night after park staff were notified by his family that he was overdue. It is unknown what Yambert’s planned destination or route was. One possible route may have been Clark’s Arrow to the summit of Longs Peak.
This morning, members of Rocky Mountain National Park’s Search and Rescue team began searching the Longs Peak area including Clark’s Arrow, the Boulder Field, North Face, Lamb’s Slide and Peacock Pool. Aerial surveillance also occurred with assistance from Northern Colorado Helitack.
Yambert was possibly wearing a black raincoat, khaki pants and hat, sandals and a blue/grey back pack. He may also be using trekking poles.
Park rangers would like to hear from anyone who has been in the Longs Peak or Mount Meeker area since Sunday, August 26. Especially those who noticed abandoned gear or other clues. Please call (970) 586-1204"

Link from park services website with photo-
https://www.nps.gov/romo/learn/news/sea ... ue-man.htm
Last edited by Bombay2Boulder on Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missing Climber on Longs Peak

Post by Candace66 »

Here's that same announcement on the RMNP website, but it includes a photo of Yambert:

Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Candace66 wrote:Here's that same announcement on the RMNP website, but it includes a photo of Yambert:

Edited my post with the link.
MarkVB
14ers: 7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MarkVB »

Very interesting that he looks to have been reported missing and was found safely about 4 years ago too on the same mountain. https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/l ... 29100436=1

Hope he is found safe again.
chicagostylehotdog
14ers: 57  1  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by chicagostylehotdog »

MarkVB wrote:Very interesting that he looks to have been reported missing and was found safely about 4 years ago too on the same mountain. https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/l ... 29100436=1

Oh dear... This thread is about to get ugly.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

dirtwatson wrote:
chicagostylehotdog wrote:
MarkVB wrote:Very interesting that he looks to have been reported missing and was found safely about 4 years ago too on the same mountain. https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/l ... 29100436=1

Oh dear... This thread is about to get ugly.
:cartman:

I'm ready. It's like "Injured hiker airlifted off Maroon Peak" never has to stop!
A very odd coincidence indeed. I hope he is found safe and that this thread does not get ugly until after his whereabouts is known.
Century Bound, eventually.
Shaller13
14ers: 34 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shaller13 »

Before anyone starts to put Illinois people under the bus.. I'm from Illinois originally and I was able to summit Longs peak a few weeks ago and make it back safely. :-D

My question is how does someone get lost 2 times on the same mountain? Is he trying to prove something?
"He who says he can and he who says he can't. Are both usually right.'
"The key is to not go up the keyhole route."
GO BIG RED
stoopdude
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 72
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stoopdude »

Sandals?

I ran into a guy on North Maroon a few weeks ago who was wearing sandals. It was his first 14er. Looked like a good way to lose a toe.

Hoping for the best outcome here.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I redact my statement.

I hope he is found safe.
Last edited by mtree on Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
CosmikUtensil
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CosmikUtensil »

We may have been the last person to see him, and I have been in touch with the rangers about it. Myself and another guy saw him at the bottom of the homestretch. It was gnarly up there on Monday, so I am hoping for the best, as I am a little rattled by this story. Let's try to keep this to hoping for a safe rescue, and have another thread for footwear if we need to. Because we do need to it seems.
amags543
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by amags543 »

Are you guys serious with saying this thread is about to get "juicy?" This person is missing and we have no idea if he is going to be found okay. His daughter is reading this board. Please be respectful.
MichaelWG
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MichaelWG »

+1 for reserving judgment and commentary for another time/place...

If you hadn't noticed from the other thread, the person's child is using this forum to spread the word and gather information. Good idea to be respectful and civil.