Missing Climbers : Capitol Peak 8/20

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
jerseybrian
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missing Climbers : Capitol Peak 8/20

Post by jerseybrian »

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends. It's hard to imagine loosing two friends or family members. Hoping for closure and healing for the loved ones.
When I get out I feel more alive - Doug Coombs
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

I'd like to echo what others have said about not having an argument over SAR procedures or where to assign blame.

I'd like to offer my condolences to any who knew the couple who perished and are reading this.

I hope others (myself included) stay safe out there. There have been 3 deaths on Capitol this month.
derekesq
14ers: 29 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by derekesq »

And, sadly, last thursday a fatality caused by altitude sickness at Conundrum Hot Springs.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/08/2 ... -says.html
Who is John Galt
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

Terrible news. I don't know what kind of situation would cause two people to simultaneous fall and die on capitol. Maybe off route or trying to take a short cut. IDK
I only know that Carlin was a young, vibrant happy person who was living life to the fullest.
She was also a Phish Phan.
"We want you to be happy, don't live inside the gloom
We want you to be happy, come step outside your room
We want you to be happy 'cause this is your song too"
-Joy by Phish
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

This one really hit close to home having climbed Capitol on Saturday. May the fallen climbers rest in peace, and sending positive thoughts to their family and friends.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
hootenatty
14ers: 27 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hootenatty »

Like Tornadoman, this one hits close to home. I too summited on Saturday, and ran across Ryan and Carlin on the ditch trail when we were nearly back to the trailhead. They mentioned they were fighting a late start on the hike out, and were planning to summit Sunday. I passed what information I had to MRA yesterday morning when I found the facebook post.

My thoughts and prayers are with their families. I agree with several others above that it does no good to criticize the methods of the SAR volunteers, whose efforts are very much appreciated. In this scenario, there wouldn't have been a different outcome anyway. Let's be a bit more compassionate here, two young people are gone.
SpringsHiker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (1)

Post by SpringsHiker »

Heartfelt condolences to the family of these two. Such a tragedy.

Respect and appreciation to SAR and all those who work to keep people safe in the wilderness.
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"
bigredmachine
14ers: 58 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

:-$
onebyone wrote:Terrible news. I don't know what kind of situation would cause two people to simultaneous fall and die on capitol. Maybe off route or trying to take a short cut. IDK
I only know that Carlin was a young, vibrant happy person who was living life to the fullest.
She was also a Phish Phan.
"We want you to be happy, don't live inside the gloom
We want you to be happy, come step outside your room
We want you to be happy 'cause this is your song too"
-Joy by Phish
Sadly, I think I may have very possibly heard the incident. I was with a group of 4 and we were descending the ridge and about 5 minutes from the knife edge. We heard a significant rockslide from up near the summit. It was loud and It lasted roughly 30 seconds. At the time it sounded like it came from the south face but we could not see anything, it may have come from the north face.

Also, I had a friend who stopped at K2 and hung out there for a couple of hours while we summitted, I spoke with him last night and he specifically remembered speaking with the young couple. They had asked him if he knew of an alternate way to descend (which he did not). So very sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to friends and family.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

[/quote]
If you aren't comfortable with the risks, stay out of the mountains. But that's your decision, not your decision to make for others.[/quote]

I 100% agree with this, I see many people on 14ers who have no equipment if the weather gets bad or they are forced to stay out over night. It is totally unfair to give SAR a hard time for not going out sooner to look for the missing climbers. Every person should have a spot 3 when out climbing. They are cheap and work very well. 14ers are not Disney World, if you can not accept the risks find a new activity. You need to hike with the attitude that there is no one that can help or save you. It is a terrible tragedy to loose two more climbers on the same peak that we already lost two in the last 2 months. Climb safe and for all of those we lost RIP

Bill
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
Blue6String
14ers: 37 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Blue6String »

This is heartbreaking news. So tragic and I hope and pray for the family and friends of these climbers.

"Mountains, in all of their moods, are symbols of something greater, something to aspire to." - Robert Genn
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's Peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
The wind will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." - John Muir
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

Heartfelt condolences for the friends and families of Ryan and Carlin and prayers for comfort and peace in this difficult time. Please be careful out there all!
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
woodstein72
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by woodstein72 »

FWIW, when I talked to MRA a couple weeks ago for this article (http://www.greeleytribune.com/sports/pr ... onstrates/), they said that the rock in the Elks has been worse than usual this year.

I was really hoping that article wouldn't be relevant again so soon after I wrote it. This sucks. I hope their loved ones find peace.