Missing woman found dead near North Maroon Peak in Maroon Bells area

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
benlen
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15 9 1
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Missing woman found dead near North Maroon Peak in Maroon Bells area

Post by benlen »

In spite of recent rain (it was POURING the night before) the trail on Saturday was remarkably dry, and in good shape. For that matter, so was Pyramid the next day.
thurs
14ers: 58  4  3 
13ers: 41 2 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by thurs »

Candace66 wrote: Maybe due to the weather? Its definitely been wetter than usual this summer.
It hasn't been wetter than usual outside of the front range and the Sawatch. The Elks and San Juans are running a deficit right now and the blanca group is about average too.

Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

benlen wrote:In spite of recent rain (it was POURING the night before) the trail on Saturday was remarkably dry, and in good shape. For that matter, so was Pyramid the next day.
I wasn't there so I certainly can't disagree with your assessment. However, the rocks that you traversed must have been fairly solid, since you came back without incident. It only takes one rock fracturing when you step on it or grab it to make for an accident.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
benlen
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15 9 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by benlen »

Sean Nunn wrote:
benlen wrote:In spite of recent rain (it was POURING the night before) the trail on Saturday was remarkably dry, and in good shape. For that matter, so was Pyramid the next day.
I wasn't there so I certainly can't disagree with your assessment. However, the rocks that you traversed must have been fairly solid, since you came back without incident. It only takes one rock fracturing when you step on it or grab it to make for an accident.
North Maroon has a well established trail, and in my mind is far less dangerous than some peaks I've hit in the San Juans or Sangres, like C2 on Ellingwood. You want a loose rock s**t fest, try El Diente or Ellingwood.

I'm not sure if this was your intention, but you seem to be hinting at the idea that coming back alive from North Maroon is more luck, versus preparedness and skill. Yes, getting off route on that mountain can be deadly, and so could rockfall, but I personally found North's reputation at least to be far exaggerated. Perhaps when I hike South Maroon I'll witness more of the Deadly Bells.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

On North Maroon, you don't need a rock to break off or rain to make footing precarious. I remember coming off the summit I had to be careful of stacked or shuffled "dinner plate" scree that would just surf over itself. If you fall on that stuff and it starts sliding it can be like being on a slope in the ball pit at Chuck E Cheese.

Again, the one source for what actually occurred is at rest. Condolences to family and friends. She's one of few who got to experience this peak's wondrous views the summit and the climb to it affords.
litote312
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (3)

Post by litote312 »

TallGrass wrote:Again, the one source for what actually occurred is at rest. Condolences to family and friends. She's one of few who got to experience this peak's wondrous views the summit and the climb to it affords.
Very well put, anything we've got is pure conjecture. Hard to imagine what her family is going through right now... hoping they manage to find some comfort.
Don't bash each other; bash willows.
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

benlen wrote:
Sean Nunn wrote:
North Maroon has a well established trail, and in my mind is far less dangerous than some peaks I've hit in the San Juans or Sangres, like C2 on Ellingwood. You want a loose rock s**t fest, try El Diente or Ellingwood.

I'm not sure if this was your intention, but you seem to be hinting at the idea that coming back alive from North Maroon is more luck, versus preparedness and skill. Yes, getting off route on that mountain can be deadly, and so could rockfall, but I personally found North's reputation at least to be far exaggerated. Perhaps when I hike South Maroon I'll witness more of the Deadly Bells.
No hinting at all as to anything about luck. Just trying to emphasize that any of the Elks can be dangerous due to the loose rock.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

Sean Nunn wrote:
benlen wrote:
Sean Nunn wrote:

No hinting at all as to anything about luck. Just trying to emphasize that any of the Elks can be dangerous due to the loose rock.
I prefer the rock in the Wilsons because it is obviously bad pretty much all the time. The scariest thing to me about Bells/Pyramid/Cap/Snowmass is that the rock can *seem* solid but fail unexpectedly. Though I have to agree with benlen on the point that when I did North Maroon I was very surprised by how much easier it was than I expected (easier than both South and Pyramid, IMO), that doesn't mean it isn't a pile of junky rock, some of which is marauding as solid.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

As with any mountain adventure: Experiences may vary.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
CamKelley
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CamKelley »

I too did the Bells Traverse last weekend, and Nick tagged me into the FB post from her son who was looking for info.

On our way up, there was a group of 3 who seemed to have a little trouble with route finding, and cliffed out on more than one spot before they followed our group up a couple of the spires. We left the summit of N Maroon around 1230 when we descended out on the spur looking back, we saw a person(s) on the north face/northern rib of the ridge from N Maroon. We yelled, waved, and no response. We assumed the person/people we saw were the same 3 disoriented people earlier in the day and they would figure it out. So, we descended.

When tagged into the post, I gave the same info to the family, and Aspen SAR reached out, took my info and began searching there, and the body was found below that ridge/face area where we saw someone. Others in my group thought it was multiple people, but I didn't recall seeing more than one. But who knows. Could've been a rescue attempt, or someone totally different.

From what her son said... she had very little/if any Class 3 experience, didn't think she took her cellphone with her, went solo... lots of no-go IMO.
CamKelley
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CamKelley »

IMG_6778.PNG
IMG_6778.PNG (1.22 MiB) Viewed 2986 times
Photos are too large to upload from my phone, but here's the area I was talking about.