Longs "rescue" Tuesday

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Longs "rescue" Tuesday

Post by peter303 »

Relatives initiate rescue of guys who didnt want to be rescued. Everyone OK.
http://www.denverpost.com/2016/10/04/rm ... ongs-peak/
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Longs "rescue" Tuesday

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Reminds me of when I lived in Michigan - ice fisherman on Lake Huron on occasion would have to be helicoptered off of ice flows. However they often would resist the rescue in fear of being charged.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Longs "rescue" Tuesday

Post by Sugar Madison »

There was a little bit more going on behind the scenes beyond an outright refusal. The party was pretty hypoxic/hypothermic and thought they just needed to figure out the route (that they had been up at least a dozen times before). Spent most of the night looking for the exit move off Kieners. Definitely needed SAR involvement, but I think there was some level of cognitive impairment (which led to confusion) due to the weather/conditions/altitude. (I know one in the party, not someone I would classify as a proud/ego type of person and definitely not worried about the cost of a rescue). As a climber/runner, I found it both interesting and fairly sobering to see how (1) a couple of questionable decisions could go south so quickly and (2) how fast one can be rendered fairly incapacitated, even to a *very* strong athlete.