Re: Hiker missing Bells/Pyramid (elks/aspen)

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
MountainRescue Aspen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MountainRescue Aspen »

"We are a Volunteer Organization dedicated to Saving Lives through Backcountry Rescue and Mountain Safety Education"

http://mountainrescueaspen.org/
gsliva
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gsliva »

Haven't posted in awhile so forgive me if this has already been suggested. Temporary cell tower.

Have they tried to ping his phone using a temporary cell tower because they have pings from S Maroon on Monday at 4 to 6 PM which is pretty late to be on top.

http://fema.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Use-Por ... 4909-14692" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kindest and hoping for the best here. He was one to less then one hour from darkness that day.
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.
Count40
14ers: 45  4 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Count40 »

Thanks for this post.

http://assasar.com/en/applications/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and quote from another post "..teams to accurately locate the missing person without the need to be connected to national network. I think they’ve been using it from a helicopter in Europe for a while, ..."

Note: "...A small mobile cell phone site emulator that could be used in a helicopter, plane or drone flown over a search area. It doesn't need to connect to a cell phone network. It just needs to emulate a cell site ..."

So, seems that tools exist, and are utilized in more advanced places than ours, probably for years. One would be inclined to think that military would already be utilizing such publicly available tools. Probably too much influence of almighty TV shows, but could be right in this case.

Bear in mind in the future. Money for that is available, in the same sources that we use now (our pockets and taxes)

Idea sure worth following up, now or in (please, if not mmediate, then close) future. Those posts were two years old.
KCBCB
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KCBCB »

I was part of a group of five hikers going from Aspen to Crested Butte over East Maroon Pass on Mon., Sept 19. We got a late start, and did not clear the pass until 5 pm. We did not see anyone matching Dave's description, or come across any solo hikers/climbers. Sending prayers and our hopes for a good outcome.
raiderred00
Trip Reports (0)

Post by raiderred00 »

I found this thread after going to Google to find more news about the search. The news from the Denver and Colorado Springs area news outlets does not make mention of any of the requests for information on certain hikers nor the last encounters people have already reported. I think it might be helpful to put out these requests to them (unless that's already been done and they are just not reporting it). That might help reach more people.
Count40
14ers: 45  4 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Count40 »

Correct.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/search- ... /327381714" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even when in news, no photo, and no appeals for further information, or stating that presently available information has yet to be clarified, or any quoting of info shared on this site.

PR was issue from day one, or should I say, day three.

But, climbers and pilots are doing their work, away from our blogs, posts and comments. Big day today, before coming squalls.

As for the directors, they know what they were doing, or not
dtran125
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dtran125 »

I was hiking Maroon Bells between 11 am - 2 pm on Tuesday and did not see Dave.

I hope the search for him is successful.
lukePlumley
14ers: 52 
13ers: 232
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lukePlumley »

It hasn't been brought up on these posts yet, but I hope Thunder Pyramid standard routes and fall zones are being searched as well. The lack of positive sightings could be because he attempted an entirely different peak on Tuesday...
"Ain't nothing to it, Listsofjohn made me do it!" -- Ice Cube
MountainRescue Aspen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MountainRescue Aspen »

Updated Press Release

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g0L ... xRXrY/edit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"We are a Volunteer Organization dedicated to Saving Lives through Backcountry Rescue and Mountain Safety Education"

http://mountainrescueaspen.org/
whiskeyzulu
14ers: 36 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by whiskeyzulu »

As you are all aware, the search for Dave Cook has been suspended until further, credible information is available to direct search teams. The SAR team and Pitkin County Sheriff have executed an exhaustive search of Pyramid, the Bells and Maroon Valley.

The Pitkin County Sheriff's office and Mountain Rescue Aspen are an exceptional team and strongly supported by their community. They have and continue to be committed and invested in finding Dave. They have not given up hope and neither have we.

We also want to identify and thank the 14ers community, which was an integral part of this search and just as committed. The people on this site responded to the family and friends of Dave Cook with information that correlated times and locations and generated leads; you showed up to come hike with us as we searched the mountain; and you came through with heartfelt support for a fellow climber and his loved ones.

Thank you for all that you have done to help and all that you continue to do.

See you on the mountain.
whiskeyzulu
14ers: 36 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by whiskeyzulu »

This is a quote from the other thread and it also appears on the David Cook Search and Rescue Maroon Bells Facebook page.

We are asking for your help in analyzing many photos that were taken by the SAR team. These are high resolution photos taken close to the mountain.

Recall that Dave was most likely wearing/carrying a blue helmet and a blue jacket. He had a black shirt under the blue jacket.

You can PM me, reply in the forum or notify on Facebook if you find something that bears further investigation. Thank you again for your help

Original post follows:

Thank you to all who worked on getting the photos loaded! Please read the instructions carefully and thank you for your help in advance! Please note: the images were loaded as received, they are in various orders and we do not have location coordinates on them. Strongly recommend using a desktop to review these.

Step 1 - Click on the link:
https://tasks.crowdflower.com/channels/ ... m4zEWDYoHX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you sign up or log in through Facebook, you will have to go to your email account to verify. (it might even look blank after you enter in log in and password information - so go to email to check) Once you click on verify, it takes you to a weird page that is not our page to work on. Close that page or window and then click on link again and log in and you'll be on the find the missing hiker page after you accept the terms and conditions.

Step 2 - Now that you are on the missing hiker page, you might see a clock of 60 minutes on the top right hand side counting down, it gives you 60 minutes to review each page. Each page contains 20 images and you will click a button on each image depending on what you see.

For a good example of what someone hiking in a photo looks like, click on this link (thanks for sending us this from 14ers.com)
http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 36#p619693" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Step 3 - you might see verbiage about earning money or getting paid - please disregard. The company crowd flower does pay people for searches, but not for this group of volunteers to help find Dave. (we are paying them to have more professional folks look - just fyi)

Tips: you can use the "open full size image" button under the photo or right click and select "save the image" on your computer to enlarge it if needed.

Here's the Link again:

https://tasks.crowdflower.com/channels/ ... m4zEWDYoHX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have questions or need help, please reply and again thanks to all.
DENVERMAZ3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DENVERMAZ3 »

Is anyone continuing the ground search today or tomorrow? Particularly interested in the canyon which Dan mentioned in the other post. I'd be willing to join but will have to come up from Denver, so I need a little time to get there. Am also unfamiliar with the terrain and would be best off searching with someone who knows this route well.