MISSING CLIMBER: Maroon Bells, Bells traverse, Pyramid

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: MISSING CLIMBER: Maroon Bells, Bells traverse, Pyramid

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Are we talking about the same photo? I thought the Garbage Chute was much lower
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Sabelmom
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sabelmom »

Additional photos are now ready for your help:
**reminder, we will gather all information to pass to SAR Thursday morning, so please complete by Wednesday night and Thank you all so much!!!
https://tasks.crowdflower.com/assignmen ... ernal=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have already been in the system and reviewed photos, click on "open full size image" - look at the url and it should have additional images in the url and now you know you're looking at the new stuff.

If you haven't looked yet, here are some instructions:

If you sign up or log in through Facebook, you will have to go to your email account to verify. (it might even look blank after you enter in log in and password information - so go to email to check) Once you click on verify, it takes you to a weird page that is not our page to work on. Close that page or window and then click on link again and log in and you'll be on the find the missing hiker page after you accept the terms and conditions.

Step 2 - Now that you are on the missing hiker page, you might see a clock of 120 minutes on the top right hand side counting down, it gives you 120 minutes to review each page. Each page contains 10 images and you will click a button on each image depending on what you see.

Step 3 - you might see verbiage about earning money or getting paid - please disregard. The company crowd flower does pay people for searches, but not for this group of volunteers to help find Dave. (we are paying them to have more professional folks look - just fyi)

Tips: you can use the "open full size image" button under the photo or right click and select "save the image" on your computer to enlarge it if needed.
Liquid Shadow
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 68 3 2
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Liquid Shadow »

I'm looking at these photos and have a thought/suggestion: what camera was used to take these images? If the camera was shooting RAW format images, then it would be immensely helpful if the photographer can boost the shadows/dark areas in post. As of now it's hard to make out anything in these shadow areas.

I can help process the photos if needed.
-OwenZ
goingup
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 295 1 4
Trip Reports (33)

Post by goingup »

My friend Rob posted this to instagram a little while ago.
Attachments
rsz_file_oct_11_5_12_58_pm.png
rsz_file_oct_11_5_12_58_pm.png (132.77 KiB) Viewed 4604 times
File Oct 11, 5 13 12 PM.jpeg
File Oct 11, 5 13 12 PM.jpeg (176.58 KiB) Viewed 4604 times
through being cool
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Post by bmcqueen »

Hoping for a miracle or at the very least closure for his friends and family. Be safe Rob and SAR when heading back up.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
mtngoatwithstyle
14ers: 19 
13ers: 73 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtngoatwithstyle »

bmcqueen wrote:Hoping for a miracle or at the very least closure for his friends and family. Be safe Rob and SAR when heading back up.

Ditto.
Never,never give up!.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Certainly the biggest piece of news since Dave went missing.
please rotate your device
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

It is confirmed that the pack found on sunday was not Dave's pack, Rob just posted the photo yesterday.
goingup
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 295 1 4
Trip Reports (33)

Post by goingup »

Ya, I talked to Rob last night at the climbing gym after I posted this. It is so crazy, fit the description and everything. None the less, going into the season where everything is covered in snow barely anyone climbs those mountains, Rob did intimately cover some nasty terrain. I wonder whose pack it is?
through being cool
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

goingup wrote:Ya, I talked to Rob last night at the climbing gym after I posted this. It is so crazy, fit the description and everything. None the less, going into the season where everything is covered in snow barely anyone climbs those mountains, Rob did intimately cover some nasty terrain. I wonder whose pack it is?
I heard someone got in a pickle on the traverse and was on it late into the night recently, could be theirs. Could be someone's that just rolled off the summit and they made no attempt to get it/report it.
Sabelmom
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sabelmom »

Here is the video that was filmed 10/11/16 from the private helicopter. If you see something of interest, please note the time on video and list that along with details in the comments below.
(there are some shaky parts, you've been warned :) )

https://vimeo.com/187025824

The photos will be ready shortly, so stand by for that post. Thank you all very much. We want to remind you that our job is to round up and summarize all the leads and get them to the Sheriff, so please do not send anything directly to the Sheriff or SAR as we agreed to do the leg work here and they agreed if we did, they would continue to help. Appreciate everyone respecting the process.
ulvetano
14ers: 58  10  7 
13ers: 48 2 1
Trip Reports (20)

Post by ulvetano »

Wow, that's a lot of terrain and so hard to decipher. I watched over lunch and only saw a goat at 19:50, but that was made much easier by the contrast in colors. Best of luck in the search!