Successful Longs Peak rescue 6/28

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Successful Longs Peak rescue 6/28

Post by peter303 »

Slipped 150 feet on Homestretch and made way back to Keyhole where rangers helped him.
http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2 ... /29480695/
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Successful Longs Peak rescue 6/28

Post by martinleroux »

We came down the Homestretch shortly after this happened. It was mostly covered in soft snow with hard ice not far underneath. We were astonished to see how many people were going up and down with just sneakers and hiking poles. Apparently the guy that slipped was equipped that way.
Hunter
14ers: 35 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hunter »

Thank you FS and Alpine SAR for being there for both of these rescues.
A good reminder to give thanks to the folks who stand waiting to help in emergencies like this. Pick up a COSAR card or renew your subscriptions. The funds help recoup some of the expenses incurred on missions. FFL, FS, SAR teams across Colorado- Thank you. If I encounter you on the trail I will offer my help.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
Don Eberl
14ers: 35  1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Don Eberl »

Another accident was reported about a guy skiing Sundance Mountain in RMNP. He apparently fell 50 feet. I ski the Sundance Bowl quite often and can't understand how it is possible to fall 50'. I am wondering if he was skiing another aspect of Sundance Mountain. Does anyone know more about this accident.
Some of it's majic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way.

Jimmy Buffett
randomboulder
14ers: 5  2  1 
13ers: 8 5 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by randomboulder »

Don Eberl wrote:Another accident was reported about a guy skiing Sundance Mountain in RMNP. He apparently fell 50 feet. I ski the Sundance Bowl quite often and can't understand how it is possible to fall 50'. I am wondering if he was skiing another aspect of Sundance Mountain. Does anyone know more about this accident.
I was on Sundance this past Sunday and the surface of the snow was riddled with deep suncups and runnels. I could see how the person could have caught a tip or edge on the lower section where it gets steep and take a tumble. Didn't see it happen, but when we skied down we stopped short of the very bottom and decided to climb back up. We heard a noise and looked down, there was a ranger parked on Old Fall River Rd who had announced something on their intercom, but we couldn't understand what he said. There was also a person standing around at the very bottom of the slope, but wasn't doing anything to indicate that he needed help. We continued climbing up and part ways up we noticed a lone ski in one of the rock islands. Shortly after that we ran into two SAR guys hiking down who told us that someone had taken a fall and was injured. We saw a helicopter fly by a couple of times and assumed that they extracted him via Fall River Rd to a landing area and then flew him out, but the article doesn't mention using a helicopter.
Don Eberl
14ers: 35  1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Don Eberl »

Thanks for the information. I guess that answers my question that he was skiing the main bowl. The snow must have been fairly hard for him to slide that far. I skied the bowl about 4 weeks ago and started a wet slide at the very bottoms. Luckily it slid after we were in a safe zone. The key to skiing that bowl is to get it early. By mid-morning, it can turn quickly to slop and potentially slide.

Sounds like I am done skiing that bowl for the year if it that sun-cupped. Thanks for the Beta.

PS Hope the guy is ok and recovers quickly
Some of it's majic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way.

Jimmy Buffett