maroon bells rescue

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Re: maroon bells rescue

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

I too am grateful to hear that the pair are safely and with injuries that (it sounds like) one can recover from!!!
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Glad to hear everything turned out OK. Mountain Rescue Aspen is one slick organization. Those guys and gals are on top of it. Nice job to the rescuers, and wishing a speedy recovery to the affected skiers.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
Urban Snowshoer
14ers: 42  3  2 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Urban Snowshoer »

These skiers were very lucky--many other skiing accidents on these peaks have not had happy endings.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

political animal wrote:These skiers were very lucky--many other skiing accidents on these peaks have not had happy endings.
Did someone say "happy ending?" I was thinking about a trip to Thailand.
please rotate your device
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Thank you everyone for giving me a week to come to terms with the accident, as well as get off the pain killers. They were making me a bit silly-loopy. I told my close friends and ski partners, and I spent the week mostly asleep and dealing with a phone that wouldn't stop beeping! The support has been overwhelming, and I can only hope that it will keep me positive and on the healing track.

I've written up my account of the day: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=14960" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
anasarca76
14ers: 57 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (5)

Post by anasarca76 »

I'm glad to hear your ok! Wishing you a speedy recovery!!
smoove
14ers: 44  11 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smoove »

Glad you're ok and starting to recover, Otina!
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Otina,

As a "secret admirer" of your pursuit of mountaineers quests, I'm sorry to hear about your accident and hope you have a quick recovery. I'm sure you'll be back tackling those 13ers again in no time.

D'Arcy
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Holy cr@p, what a story. Spiral fracture? Regardless, I am glad you are safe and I hope you are mending well!
please rotate your device
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Glad to hear you are OK coming out of a scary potentially life threatening situation like that. Your trip report was riveting- thanks for writing it up. It sounds like the conditions weren't that great for skiing with all the melting snow and the "runnels?" The trenches and whatnot.

If I may ask a question:

You mentioned you will never post the GoPro video and I respect that- can I ask why? I'm guessing it's either scary or embarassing or something. Plus who wants to hear someone screaming in pain?

I hope you have a speedy and good recovery.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Quite a story. Quite a trip! Like nothing I've ever experienced. Glad you're going to be ok.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
radiate17
14ers: 33 
13ers: 7 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by radiate17 »

Thank you for posting your account, you are so brave! So glad you are safe, hoping for your speedy recovery!

Karen