Mountaineering accident

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Mountaineering accident

Post by tlongpine »

Westword has the details: http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2 ... aineer.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This raises very serious questions.

1.) Why was this climber attempting a technical maneuver without a belay and adequate protection?
2.) Why was he climbing alone? Did he leave a note?
3.) Was loss of traction a possible cause of the failed maneuver? Did he have appropriate foot ware?
a.) do you prefer microspikes or yak-trax when jumping roof to roof?
4.) Was he properly acclimated, from Kansas, Texas or California?

It's important that we answer these questions, employing prejudice and assumption if we must. Otherwise, we forgo an important opportunity to "learn from his mistakes."
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Mountaineering accident

Post by GregMiller »

LOL. I was on Pearl Street in Boulder last night, and there were two folks dressed as mountaineers (oxygen masks and all) who were scaling the boulders that they have. Very funny, and they were entertaining quite the crowd.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

He would have made it if he'd had two ice-climbing tools.

I never noticed before, but where did Chris O'Donnell get the helmet and axes? They just sort of appeared when he needed them. Also, he reaches down and picks up the axes, and the leashes just magically attach to his wrists.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Perhaps he fancied himself Ueli Steck-ish?
dannyg23
14ers: 54  43 
13ers: 21 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by dannyg23 »

Jim Davies wrote:He would have made it if he'd had two ice-climbing tools.
I love that scene and thanks to that technique I've never been cliffed out.
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

HA.

Similar to the old Westerns when the extras dressed as Indians would forget to take off their watches...
Hollywood sometimes is slower than the eye...

Good eye, Jim!
tlongpine
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

Fess up, someone here knows who this was.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

tlongpine wrote: It's important that we answer these questions, employing prejudice and assumption if we must. Otherwise, we forgo an important opportunity to "learn from his mistakes."
Even if you drink so much that you think you can fly, you can't.

Gravity still effects you no matter what costume you are wearing.

Cliffhanger was fake, don't attempt to recreate scenes from the movie.

There you go Tlong, 3 lessons learned from this incident
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

My condolences to everyone involved. I hope the witnesses of this tragedy can put this behind them and find peace. Tragic!

Please show some decency and wait at least 6 months before discussing this, let's allow the lower downtown bar scene time to heal.
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

I don't mean to speculate, but...
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

At least he was slightly injured doing something he loved. Condolences to his friends and family.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
tlongpine
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

Jim Davies wrote:At least he was slightly injured doing something he loved. Condolences to his friends and family.
:lol: