Climber Falls to Death in Chicago Basin

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Climber Falls to Death in Chicago Basin

Post by Carl_Healy »

Anyone have more details on this?

From the Durango Herald:
Climber falls to death in Chicago Basin north of Durango
La Plata County Search and Rescue on two-day mission to recover victim’s body
By Shane Benjamin Herald deputy editor
Monday, Aug 15, 2022 3:00 Updated Monday, Aug. 15, 2022 3:39

La Plata County Search and Rescue will be working Monday and Tuesday to remove the body of a climber who fell and died while hiking in the Chicago Basin area in the Weminuche Wilderness north of Durango.

The mishap was first reported to law enforcement about noon or 12:15 p.m. Monday, said Lt. Pat Downs, with the La Plata County Sheriff’s Office.

He said rescue workers planned to reach the hiking party Monday and prepare the body to be airlifted out of the remote backcountry Tuesday morning.

“Based on the climber’s partner and some good Samaritans, the guy is deceased,” Downs said. “They will be making a recovery tomorrow morning (Tuesday), early.”

Downs did not have additional information about the victim, including the climber’s hometown. He also did not know where within Chicago Basin the climber fell.
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
shail_official
14ers: 8  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Climber Falls to Death in Chicago Basin

Post by shail_official »

Keeping in prayers. Heartfelt condolences to family and friends.
Last edited by shail_official on Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveMK
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveMK »

The climber was a very good friend of mine. He was an experienced climber with over 50 14ers climbed, and active on 14ers.com. I took him to Chicago Basin back in 2008; he only climbed Windom, it was his first 14er, but he loved it. He went back on Sunday, with another friend that is his regular climbing partner, to finally climb Eolus/N.Eolus and Sunlight. I don't have solid details yet, but he fell somewhere on one of the climbs. Initial report is that he fell about 30-40 feet and was alive when his climbing partner got to him. He performed CPR until my friends heart stopped and he was sure there was no way to revive him. This whole situation feels impossible, he was a very responsible/cautious climber. He is married with 4 teenage children.
Last edited by DaveMK on Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Terrible news, sorry for your loss.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

DaveMK wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:52 am The climber was a very good friend of mine. ....
That is so tragic! I’m very sorry to hear about your friend. Please extend my condolences to his family.
Century Bound, eventually.
mspin99
14ers: 53 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mspin99 »

Tragic. Sorry for your loss. Always my worst fear in the mountains, having 2 young children myself.
zootloopz
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 142
Trip Reports (4)

Post by zootloopz »

Terrible to hear, hoping for a safe and speedy recovery.
IG @roughlysomewhere

one step at a time // you are exactly where you need to be in this moment
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

My heart is crushed for the family he left behind. There was some ice on the rocks, and a few peaks with a dusting of snow last weekend. Absolutely tragic
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

Awful awful awful. Best wishes to his family
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Carl_Healy »

DaveMK wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:52 am The climber was a very good friend of mine. He was an experienced climber with over 50 14ers climbed, and active on 14ers.com. I took him to Chicago Basin back in 2008; he only climbed Windom, it was his first 14er, but he loved it. He went back on Sunday, with another friend that is his regular climbing partner, to finally climb Eolus/N.Eolus and Sunlight. I don't have solid details yet, but he fell somewhere on one of the climbs. Initial report is that he fell about 30-40 feet and was alive when his climbing partner got to him. He performed CPR until my friends heart stopped and he was sure there was no way to revive him. This whole situation feels impossible, he was a very responsible/cautious climber. He is married with 4 teenage children.
That's terrible I'm so sorry to hear that!
My condolences to you and his family.
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

So very sorry to hear this.
bsiegs
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bsiegs »

Tragic news - I'm so sorry for your loss.