Skiing a Peak: What it takes

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: Skiing a Peak: What it takes

Post by bergsteigen »

Scary_Canary wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:13 am
bergsteigen wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:10 pm Some finishers have only skied to a saddle and counted it. I don’t like it, but that’s grey area. On of my ski partners would not count anything that was side stepped and called me out for doing it for a few feet on Longs. We all have the levels to which we individually count things. I’m just trying to inform what those who’ve gone before me count as a ski descent.
See, stuff like this is honestly were things get seriously confusing. You "old timers" cant agree on anything, but the "younger gen" has to follow along without question. Lest there be consequences!
Wheres the baseline of what is generally accepted practice? Do we ski it when its in, or when we force it to be?
"if I'm on a peak with bad coverage because it's too early in the year or a drought, and I have to connect snow patches that would otherwise touch each other, then I don't count it." But we can shovel up snow til it's in and make it count.
Based off what I've currently seen, I can put snow in my pack and take it to the summit with my skis, ski a few ft down, and BAM skiier icon earned. Only need to ski off the summit right?

Do we have to be held to Otina's standard of 1000ft of descent off the summit. Does the comunity as a whole, or do you alone get to decide when that becomes a requirement? Why I also inquired about side stepping down in the TR. Another grey area, does it count or no?
To you it does but your friend may call you out and say Longs must be redone without sidestepping in order to be a finisher. Who gets the final say?

FOLLOW THE RULES!...
However, "We all have the levels to which we individually count things." 10 pages later, and this whole thing could've been left with this single quote after your comment in the TR, and left at that.
Funny stuff.
No one is going to agree on everything. There will always be serial contrarians. Always someone screaming FU I won’t do what you tell me! Is it a couple feet of grey area or is it a couple hundred feet?

If you take a photo of the ski route and you show a resort skier - hey look at the peak I skied! Would they a) laugh and say that’s not even remotely skiable, or b) say that’s cool! When taken on the overall, this is what all the grey area means: it was a peak that looks skiable to a reasonably informed audience. A patch of snow on the side of a hill will get laughed at. How exactly do you strictly define that into “rules”? You can’t.

So unfortunately there will never be strict criteria. It will be up to the skiers discretion. BUT if they end up skiing all the ranked 14ers and want to tell the community about it, there will be questions if you skied 100’ patch of snow on the side of a peak! Will my friend chide me of side stepping 3’? Sure. Will everyone else? Doubtful. Heck, I side stepped getting onto the East Wall at Abasin yesterday. There be sharks.

While I may have been inspired to write this post by 1 individual, there were many people that never knew that the skier icon actually had some meaning behind it. Where there’s 1, there’s a 100 more that “didn’t know”.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Dave B wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:27 pm and I agree with AlexeyD's post about the check box being helpful for sorting TRs, whether they fit some definition of a ski descent or not.
Now here's practical question (for Bill mostly): when you check the "ski/board" box on a TR, does that automatically link to your personal peak list?
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

AlexeyD wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:19 am by AlexeyD » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:19 am

Dave B wrote: ↑Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:27 pm
and I agree with AlexeyD's post about the check box being helpful for sorting TRs, whether they fit some definition of a ski descent or not.
Now here's practical question (for Bill mostly): when you check the "ski/board" box on a TR, does that automatically link to your personal peak list?
Whoa that's some higher level thought process there ... though I think Jarrett's still a bit deeper, worth repeating and what I'm taking from this thread:
Easy Rider wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:40 pm I decided Challenger is more of an art installation than an objective mountaineering goal. Nobody standing there at the plaque would look over at Kit Carson and say "Welp, this is it! I'm at the top now." It's shortfall is a deliberate anthem to failure. Accepting that reaction can be a surprisingly inspiring experience. But is it worth alienating an entire generation of climbers in the wake of an otherwise arbitrary government dedication? Nah. Not unless they made it illegal.
bergsteigen
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

lodgling wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:37 am
AlexeyD wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:19 am by AlexeyD » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:19 am

Dave B wrote: ↑Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:27 pm
and I agree with AlexeyD's post about the check box being helpful for sorting TRs, whether they fit some definition of a ski descent or not.
Whoa that's some higher level thought process there ... though I think Jarrett's still a bit deeper.
No, there’s no direct link. The first time I was on the summit of Atlantic in ‘09 I did a ski approach to the west ridge, but left the skis below. I put the ski icon on the TR, since I did ski, but at that time I did not have the skier icon checked for Atlantic, since I didn’t ski from the summit. I have since gone back to ski Atlantic via the V Couloir in 2017.

This way you can still show that you skied on the peak for TR purposes, without it effecting the list icons. Also good for showing attempts and fails, of which I’ve had quite a few!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

bergsteigen wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:49 amNo, there’s no direct link. The first time I was on the summit of Atlantic in ‘09 I did a ski approach to the west ridge, but left the skis below. I put the ski icon on the TR, since I did ski, but at that time I did not have the skier icon checked for Atlantic, since I didn’t ski from the summit. I have since gone back to ski Atlantic via the V Couloir in 2017.

This way you can still show that you skied on the peak for TR purposes, without it effecting the list icons. Also good for showing attempts and fails, of which I’ve had quite a few!
Lol well it seems that settles it then. Check whatever boxes you want for TRs, but for the follow the rules for the personal checklist. Not to derail the fun argument or anything...by all means everyone else carry on ;)
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

This entire thread: wut iz newanse?
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

bergsteigen wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:02 amJmanner is likely feeling guilty him and Bean down climbed a bit on Snowmass.
You’re not wrong, despite historical precedent for it. I’m comfortable enough counting it but the NE direct line is also cool enough that I want to take in bigger skis when that line is in better shape and actually enjoy the skiing.

Another discussion that would be a lot more interesting over beers than over the Internet is the whole “average snow year” (Dawson-style) vs Davenport-style (who did it in a banner snow year) thing.
CRB
CRB
D3B006B3-D88A-4D77-B9F4-AFEA90648BAA.jpeg (33.35 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

So with regards to a summit ski, is it supposed to be a particular line? For example, on Quandary you could ski Cristo, Quandary Couloir or the east bowls. Each without taking skis off, each over 1000 ft. Would any of those options count? Only the two steep spring lines?? Only the popular Cristo and not Quandary even though Quandary is the steeper ski?
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Jorts wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:19 am So with regards to a summit ski, is it supposed to be a particular line? For example, on Quandary you could ski Cristo, Quandary Couloir or the east bowls. Each without taking skis off, each over 1000 ft. Would any of those options count? Only the two steep spring lines?? Only the popular Cristo and not Quandary even though Quandary is the steeper ski?
Cruising down the East ridge is acceptable. The standard hiking route on Holy Cross is often in but it would be poor form to do that instead of skiing the Cross.

You decide your own level of commitment.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
bergsteigen
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Jorts wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:19 am So with regards to a summit ski, is it supposed to be a particular line? For example, on Quandary you could ski Cristo, Quandary Couloir or the east bowls. Each without taking skis off, each over 1000 ft. Would any of those options count? Only the two steep spring lines?? Only the popular Cristo and not Quandary even though Quandary is the steeper ski?
So rigid (or just trolling again?). Creativity is very much allowed here. All those options count. Good grief! The creativity on Capitol alone is insane. Not that mere mortals can do any of the special lines.

supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

newanse iz ded wrote:HA

"ski from the summit"

how can i poke an hole in dis

OH RITE

strawman

got em
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Bean wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:24 am
Cruising down the East ridge is acceptable. The standard hiking route on Holy Cross is often in but it would be poor form to do that instead of skiing the Cross.

You decide your own level of commitment.
I believe JK claimed to ski the standard hiking route on Pikes down to Crag's (which never has any continuous snow), as well as standard route of MHC for his project, although he skied MHC couloir on other occasions before/after. Standard hiking route on Huron, and a
spotty Culebra ridge in February.

So speaking of Culebra. I was there a day after JK and the ridgeline wasn't continuous, and I also had stupid high winds, so any upward with skis would have been nearly impossible and definitely not fun, so I left the skis at the big cairn and just did it as a snowflake. I went back couple weeks ago (supposedly at the peak of seasonal coverage), and the damn ridge wasn't in again! Most people left the skis at the cairn again, but claimed the ski descent that day. I personally ok with that as long as they don't do it for the *list*. Btw, the North face should be the standard ski route on Culebra😎
Last edited by SnowAlien on Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.