Skiing a Peak: What it takes

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Skiing a Peak: What it takes

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Ok, here's what I've come up to help both trip report authors and those with checklists.

First, since there's a "ski/board" checkbox on trip reports, I wanted to make sure people felt free to use it for both skiing from the summit AND skiing "on" a peak. To spring snow sliders, these reports are very helpful and I don't want to discourage authors from checking the box. However, you'll see I changed the ski icon to orange so it has a slight variation from the one on checklists.

Second, when someone is updating their checklist and goes to the peak details page, they will now see the corresponding icons next to the checkboxes as well as better labels next the "winter" and "ski" checkboxes. Next to each option, I've also added a More info... link where I've attempted to cover, albeit briefly, the issues at hand. It's my first stab at it so I will refine it further over the next few days. I welcome constructive suggestions.

I realize the "guidelines" used by calendar winter people and ski-the-peaks people are not perfect and there's no authoritative list of the exact steps that must be taken. That is the basic issue here. The best I can do is provide general guidelines and then it's up to the climber to do what he/she thinks is right.

I also understand that many people on this site think these issues are dumb or not worth discussing. Well, to the handful of winter and ski finishers, it's not dumb and those who attempt to do the same should try to follow guidelines used by previous climbers so their completion accomplishment can be comparable.

TRIP REPORT CHANGES:
tripreports1.jpg
tripreports1.jpg (99.21 KiB) Viewed 6119 times

tripreports2.jpg
tripreports2.jpg (69.19 KiB) Viewed 6119 times

CHECKLIST PAGE CHANGES:

Updating a peak:
checklists1.jpg
checklists1.jpg (51.6 KiB) Viewed 6119 times

Viewing a checklist:
checklists2.jpg
checklists2.jpg (146.83 KiB) Viewed 6119 times

Viewing a checklist by Elevation shows all peak icons:
checklists3.jpg
checklists3.jpg (175.52 KiB) Viewed 6119 times
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Love it! Great updates!
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Thank you Bill! I think this is exactly what is needed for the long term. Some background information on the meaning behind the checklist icons, some basic standards and then leaving it up to the user to decide if they think it’s right to check. A common starting point!

‘Tis the season to ski!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
nomad_games
14ers: 21  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nomad_games »

Anyone have any ideas on grays or torreys or Quandary ski conditions? I haven’t been paying attention, but I happen to be in the area with my skis. I suppose the Ouray/Silverton area could be an option as well.

Before anyone starts lecturing me, I have all my avy gear and my AIARE I and have skied grays and torreys and some 13ers and 12ers in spring.
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

Skied tuning fork today and it was great skinning, booting and skiing. Shin deep powder on really smooth surface. Could be linked from the top if desired. Snow was still cold when we skied it at noonish. Emperor and Dead Dog were also skied. Grays looked very thin, mostly only filled in on the summer trail. Skis on all the way to bakerville. All in all about as good as gets.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

pettingell (across the road from grays/torreys) had superb conditions top to bottom, a bit of wind slab at the ridge
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

Since it has been brought up here, it seems like we (Bill) could take the guesswork out of snowflakes by removing the option altogether and simply requiring the user enter a date. Maybe this has been discussed before.

You'd probably need or want to make this part of a more labor-intensive feature that allows recording multiple ascents by date, rather than only storing a "last climbed" date.

You'd have to keep existing snowflakes if you don't want to blow away people's records, but you could fudge those into a default 1/1/70 ascent where no last climbed or non-winter last climbed occurs (or drop them if only one ascent with a date outside calendar winter).

And then going forward you could just show a snowflake automatically if any recorded ascent occurred during calendar winter. For diminishing returns you could add checkboxes for "started hiking after"/"returned to trailhead before" on the solstice/equinox.

Just if you're bored.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Let me attempt to summary this thread:
"I woke up feeling very insecure so I went to look up my achievements to boost my ego but I realized so many people have achieved just as much I have. I felt like a loser so I tried to shore up my vanishing self-esteem by questioning whether others have indeed achieved just as much as I have. After several sleepless nights, I managed to find some inconsistencies and exploited them to diminish the achievement of others. Then I decided to bitch and cry to have the website redesigned so I could stand out again in this community. Now that I finally managed to get that done, I feel slightly better about myself and can go back to my sad life."

Lessons learned:
"My self-worth doesn't come from within but rather it comes from checklists published in a local online board. For as long as I can control such local online board, I will feel better about myself."
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

ker0uac wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:48 pm Let me attempt to summary this thread:
"I woke up feeling very insecure so I went to look up my achievements to boost my ego but I realized so many people have achieved just as much I have. I felt like a loser so I tried to shore up my vanishing self-esteem by questioning whether others have indeed achieved just as much as I have. After several sleepless nights, I managed to find some inconsistencies and exploited them to diminish the achievement of others. Then I decided to bitch and cry to have the website redesigned so I could stand out again in this community. Now that I finally managed to get that done, I feel slightly better about myself and can go back to my sad life."

Lessons learned:
"My self-worth doesn't come from within but rather it comes from checklists published in a local online board. For as long as I can control such local online board, I will feel better about myself."
Reasons for this thread:

1. A new skier used the phrase “I didn’t know”.
2. Other new skiers peppered me with questions and comments.
3. Snarky comments/tone
4. Witnessing 5/6 skiers not even bringing their skis to the summit.
5. Seeing neighboring peaks not covered in snow get “skied”.

Usually any psychological analysis says more about the person doing the analysis, than the person in question. Ie You judge others by how you judge yourself. So you just told me a lot about yourself, so thank you!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

ker0uac wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:48 pm ...
That seems harsh and over the line, moreso and more personal than the origins of the thread.
BillM wrote: I welcome constructive suggestions.
(~190 posts later)....So, like last week, but orange, then? :-D

Amongst all this, and personalities aside, I did better understand the desire for distinguishing skiable-summit conditions moreso than people in the current setup. People do want to skim TR's and see if the summit is "in," while as I suspected, many average users neither had consensus nor were overly concerned on what the numbers on an individual person's tally represented.
Considering the desire to discern 'average' snow year and conditions to exceptional years (in either direction), would it be possible and useful to do red or orange (skied from vs. skied-on) on TR's? You could imagine wanting to filter, or having summit descents clearly stand out, and any time you can get more data "now" it becomes exponentially more useful in the future, sometimes in surprising ways. Thanks for putting up with this Bill!
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

Stick a fork in this thread already. That "pooping: what it takes" thread is more value added anyways.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

bergsteigen wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:40 pm
ker0uac wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:48 pm Let me attempt to summary this thread:

Lessons learned:
Reasons for this thread:

1. A new skier used the phrase “I didn’t know”.
2. Other new skiers peppered me with questions and comments.
3. Snarky comments/tone
4. Witnessing 5/6 skiers not even bringing their skis to the summit.
5. Seeing neighboring peaks not covered in snow get “skied”.

Usually any psychological analysis says more about the person doing the analysis, than the person in question. Ie You judge others by how you judge yourself. So you just told me a lot about yourself, so thank you!
I don't want to damage your self esteem more than the fake skiers already have so I'll refrain from discussing this with you. But I hope you are feeling better this week now that Bill has helped you prop up your ego. Trust me, it gets better with time.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion