Skiing a Peak: What it takes

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Skiing a Peak: What it takes

Post by highpilgrim »

ker0uac wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:15 pm Trust me, it gets better with time.
If only that were the case with you, Sigmund Dingle0uac.

You should hang out a shingle: Psychiatry, 5 cents.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

I found a sign for you...
C9D0EF04-9EBF-48BF-9451-150F77E172B3.jpeg
C9D0EF04-9EBF-48BF-9451-150F77E172B3.jpeg (114.07 KiB) Viewed 6925 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:34 am Ok, here's what I've come up to help both trip report authors and those with checklists.
Has the '3k gained' icon always been like that?
My eye wants the angle of the 3 dots (dice) to go from bottom left to upper right.
RETEP 1
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RETEP 1 »

I don’t really know what all the fuss is about...Candide wouldn’t even need snow🙄
https://youtu.be/NHrwcQQ38bA
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

RETEP 1 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:24 pm I don’t really know what all the fuss is about...Candide wouldn’t even need snow🙄
https://youtu.be/NHrwcQQ38bA
Everytime I see one of his videos, I want to know what his quads look like. #thickthighssavelives
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

d_baker wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:00 pm
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:34 am Ok, here's what I've come up to help both trip report authors and those with checklists.
My eye wants the angle of the 3 dots (dice) to go from bottom left to upper right.
I flipped it. Yup, looks better
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:32 am
Looks great, thanks Bill!
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Cool. My eyes will be happier.
Something else I've noticed is the Memo pop-up window deal for one's peak list doesn't show up anymore. While stalking myself (& feeding my ego), the notes I have put on my summits no longer shows. What gives?
I also updated one of my peaks to show I gained 3000' but I don't get the newly arranged dots of an icon next to my list, like your example above has. What (does) it take?

Sorry to take this how to ski thread down this road.....
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

d_baker wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:29 pm
Cool. My eyes will be happier.
Something else I've noticed is the Memo pop-up window deal for one's peak list doesn't show up anymore. While stalking myself (& feeding my ego), the notes I have put on my summits no longer shows. What gives?
I also updated one of my peaks to show I gained 3000' but I don't get the newly arranged dots of an icon next to my list, like your example above has. What (does) it take?

Sorry to take this how to ski thread down this road.....
I temporarily removed the memo pop-up because the way it was coded caused the page to be too large/slow. I will be adding it back once I have it more dynamic, and it will include notes and all icons.

Due to space restrictions, only the snowflake and ski icons show up when viewing your checklist by range. You can see all icons if you switch to "by Elevation." I'll add something to make that clear.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
VeraUndertow
14ers: 58  5  7 
13ers: 346 51 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by VeraUndertow »

Just curious what the forum thinks about adding a ski descent icon for my dogs account, when she climbed and sprints as fast as she can behind me while I ski. Obviously she is a dog, so she doesn't fit in AT boots, but she works hard and has a very different experience, often on a different ski oriented route, than when we climb and don't ski. Not trying to stir this pot, genuinely curious since she takes her check marks seriously. TYIA everyone