Cristo Couloir

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Cristo Couloir

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

123tqb wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:03 pm Update: my party didn't end up skiing Cristo, but from what I could tell there was a soft wind slab that seemed to be bonding really well. I believe it could be safely skiable within the next two weeks or so as long as it doesn't get super loaded. We happened to ski the East Bowl today, and the snow was great on the upper portion. A little bit of dust on crust, but supportive enough to be able to carve. I had a great day, thanks for all the advice everyone!
:thumbup:
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
coopereitel
14ers: 58  4  1 
13ers: 45 7 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by coopereitel »

Not the route you were talking about, but here is a pic of Quandary Couloir from Thursday.
Attachments
Quand.jpg
Quand.jpg (192.18 KiB) Viewed 3950 times
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

So little snow for late-ish March... :(
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
123tqb
14ers: 25  4  3 
13ers: 19 4 3
Trip Reports (24)

Post by 123tqb »

Looking back I'm very glad to have chosen not to ski the couloir. Definitely an avalanche hazard still, and my group didn't have the proper experience to mitigate the risk. Super appreciate y'all convincing me, I'll continue to make conservative skiing choices!
Sometimes you don't think it be like it is, but it do.