Splitboarding Quandary

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Splitboarding Quandary

Post by Been_Jammin »

Finally got a splitboard set-up. Targeting Quandary for my first ever snowboard descent this Saturday. I've done the research... route is straight forward... read Avy forecast... etc.

I would appreciate if anyone has more real time beta on the conditions of the NE bowls. Or more real time advice for riding Quandary in general.

Also, what was your first ski/snowboard descent?

Troll advice welcomed.
mcgrawt9
14ers: 36  9  1 
13ers: 29 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Splitboarding Quandary

Post by mcgrawt9 »

Was thinking about giving it a go tomorrow. People have been hitting it over the last week. Seems like today's snow shouldn't be enough to destabilize things too much but, what do I know. Has been pretty bare above 13k from what I've seen but I've never even on Quandary in the winter.
Been_Jammin
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

Right on. An updated conditions report after you send tomorrow will be mucho appreciated!!
Snow_Dog_frassati
14ers: 58  8  5 
13ers: 84 4 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Snow_Dog_frassati »

The lack of snow all around is pretty sad. I'll be curious to see the report. Hopefully a few more lines fill in by May
"A good decision yesterday doesn't absolve me from a bad decision today"
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

I drive past quandary everyday, went up there last week as well. Lower bowl is ok, upper bowl has more sticking out, plenty rideable/skiable snow. Just be careful, ski patrol isn't right around to help.
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
Been_Jammin
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

Breck and Keystone are both reporting 5 inches in the last 24 hours. That might help the cause on Quandary... unless it all gets blown off.
Been_Jammin
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

Gandalf69 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:40 am I drive past quandary everyday, went up there last week as well. Lower bowl is ok, upper bowl has more sticking out, plenty rideable/skiable snow. Just be careful, ski patrol isn't right around to help.
Hey, good tip! I don't need to bag the summit. If the upper bowl has too many hazards I will probably just skin up the ridge until I find a suitable line to drop. And ride the lower bowl too of course. Then I'll go drink beer and bomb afternoon laps at Breck.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

This is also high on my list for the season, though I'm thinking it's gonna have to be an April/May objective. People seem to have just started skiing it (from the limited reports we see on here), so it's bound to fill in a good bit more over the next couple months. Seems like people are just skiing the ridge proper instead of the upper bowl right now.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

I skied it 2/15. The upper bowl was filled in, just standard wind hammered. Ski it conservatively. It's always variable and sharky.

The lower bowl was skiing great that day. Did two laps in there taking it down to McCullough. Supportive with a few inches of fresh. I'd guess it's even better now.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Been_Jammin
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

Jorts wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:38 am I skied it 2/15. The upper bowl was filled in, just standard wind hammered. Ski it conservatively. It's always variable and sharky.

The lower bowl was skiing great that day. Did two laps in there taking it down to McCullough. Supportive with a few inches of fresh. I'd guess it's even better now.
That's wassup. Thanks. Lapping the lower bowl sounds like a good play!

Would there be any advantage to skinning the road north and then just climbing lower bowl directly instead of using the standard route up the east ridge? Avy forecast for tree line in summit county is the lowest possible risk.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Been_Jammin wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:51 am Would there be any advantage to skinning the road north and then just climbing lower bowl directly instead of using the standard route up the east ridge? Avy forecast for tree line in summit county is the lowest possible risk.
If there's a skin track further north. Occasionally someone puts one in. East Ridge is just convenient cause there's always a skinner. Only the skiers right side of the bowl has much slide hazard. You can see where I cut hard left before the convexity.
quandary.jpg
quandary.jpg (63.83 KiB) Viewed 2470 times
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Been_Jammin
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

I sent Quandary on Saturday with a successful snowboard descent.

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for when they think booting becomes more efficient than skinning?

I embraced the skinning aspect of the climb Saturday because this was my first time splitboarding. Touring is fun and a great workout. But if I were to climb/snowboard Quandary again (with the same conditions) I might just boot pack it. The trail was hard packed so flotation was pointless. Being a bigger person (6'4" 200lbs) I would prefer carrying the extra weight of the gear on my shoulders/back instead of my feet... unless I need the floatation obvi.

Ramble over. Cheers.