Splitboarding Quandary

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jorts
14ers:summits21 ski3 winter1 
13ers:summits59 ski12 winter5 
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Splitboarding Quandary

Post by Jorts » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:03 pm

Been_Jammin wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:51 am
Would there be any advantage to skinning the road north and then just climbing lower bowl directly instead of using the standard route up the east ridge? Avy forecast for tree line in summit county is the lowest possible risk.
If there's a skin track further north. Occasionally someone puts one in. East Ridge is just convenient cause there's always a skinner. Only the skiers right side of the bowl has much slide hazard. You can see where I cut hard left before the convexity.
quandary.jpg
quandary.jpg (63.83 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @summityinzer
Strava: Brent Herring
Been_Jammin
14ers:summits42 ski1 winter1 

Post by Been_Jammin » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:09 am

I sent Quandary on Saturday with a successful snowboard descent.

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for when they think booting becomes more efficient than skinning?

I embraced the skinning aspect of the climb Saturday because this was my first time splitboarding. Touring is fun and a great workout. But if I were to climb/snowboard Quandary again (with the same conditions) I might just boot pack it. The trail was hard packed so flotation was pointless. Being a bigger person (6'4" 200lbs) I would prefer carrying the extra weight of the gear on my shoulders/back instead of my feet... unless I need the floatation obvi.

Ramble over. Cheers.
cottonmountaineering
14ers:summits58 ski6 winter18 
13ers:summits168 ski29 winter28 

Post by cottonmountaineering » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:15 am

Been_Jammin wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:09 am
I sent Quandary on Saturday with a successful snowboard descent.

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for when they think booting becomes more efficient than skinning?

I embraced the skinning aspect of the climb Saturday because this was my first time splitboarding. Touring is fun and a great workout. But if I were to climb/snowboard Quandary again (with the same conditions) I might just boot pack it. The trail was hard packed so flotation was pointless. Being a bigger person (6'4" 200lbs) I would prefer carrying the extra weight of the gear on my shoulders/back instead of my feet... unless I need the floatation obvi.

Ramble over. Cheers.
congrats!

IMO i always keep my equipment under my feet until its too steep, it takes less energy to skin than to boot
Jorts
14ers:summits21 ski3 winter1 
13ers:summits59 ski12 winter5 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Jorts » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:56 am

Been_Jammin wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:09 am
Good work. Doesn't really matter weight or height, if you know what you're doing, skinning is just plain more efficient than booting. But if your skins stop gripping and you start sliding back, that's generally a good time to start booting.

FWIW, Quandary's summit block can be skinned all the way to the summit even with dinky skinny skis that have less surface area than your splitty.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @summityinzer
Strava: Brent Herring