Dolly Varden beta

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Dolly Varden beta

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Looking for beta on the Dolly Varden Gully up Mt. Bross, couldn't find a lot of info digging through the site.

My impression is that this gully holds snow well mostly from wind deposition, which is why it doesn't melt out like the rest of Bross, which seems to be almost always bare of snow. I know it's been a very low-snow year, but it seems to be picking up out there and I'm curious about this gully's ski potential right now. Seems like most people do this as more of an early-spring ski, but would it be alright in winter? It seems likely to me that there isn't all that much snow (and definitely not to the summit of Bross), but if Quandary is (barely) skiable right now it doesn't seem like a huge logical jump that this gully might be in. Any info/thoughts? Thanks in advance.
ClimberSkierDave64
14ers: 58  13  1 
13ers: 29 17 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Dolly Varden beta

Post by ClimberSkierDave64 »

Driving through Fairplay recently, it looks like the skiable snow extends to about 13,600 feet, which is the same as it was last March when I skied it. Above that it was predominantly dry. I would imagine that the snow conditions consist of sastrugi in the upper gully and breakable wind crust below that. If your lucky, there might be some sections with soft recycled powder.

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstat ... cnum=15773
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

After reading all of the CAIC accident reports for this season, I wouldn't want to be in an east facing wind loaded gully right now
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
ClimberSkierDave64
Trip Reports (1)

Here is a video from somebody who snowboarded it after a large October storm a couple of years ago, so it probably skiable to above 13,000 most of the winter.

https://youtu.be/pMJjrIXqQuo
ClimberSkierDave64
Trip Reports (1)

DaveLanders wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:55 pm After reading all of the CAIC accident reports for this season, I wouldn't want to be in an east facing wind loaded gully right now
In addition to the gully, there are some steep wind loaded SE facing slopes that feed in from the lookers right side of the gully that could slide. They are seen in photo #1 of my conditions report.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

It’s a fun ski...but more of a May/June kind of thing. I wouldn’t do it this year, at this time. The slog back to your car is fun afterwards... assuming that parking area is still allowed now.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage