Old Cuchara Ski Resort

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rharriman
Trip Reports (0)

Old Cuchara Ski Resort

Post by rharriman »

Does anyone know if skinning/skiing is possible at this old resort? Not looking to go right now just wondering if anyone has and if its possible/legal. From what I can tell from Cal Topo most of the ski area is on national forest land but not sure that makes it legal to access it via the private parts. I haven't been up to the actual ski area in years but do try and go up above Bear Lakes from the FS422 road up Cuchara Creek once or twice a year and in the summer I hike and fish there with family some. Would be nice to get up the old ski area later in the year I would think it might be some fun.

Thanks
stoopdude
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 72
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Old Cuchara Ski Resort

Post by stoopdude »

i Just heard a segment about this place on Colorado Public Radio the other day. I'm not really sure what the rules are but the area is currently undergoing some renovation/rehabilitation/rejuvenation (I'm bad with words). You're probably good to go but here's their website.

https://thecucharamountainpark.org/
ClimberSkierDave64
14ers: 58  13  1 
13ers: 29 17 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ClimberSkierDave64 »

I went skinning here in late October of this year after they had gotten 30 inches of snow. Cuchara Mountain Park (public) allows/encourages skiing and there were other people skiing there as well. The runs are fairly long (1,600 feet) which makes for some good skiing. I have heard they are possibly going to open the short lift near the bottom for lift-accessed skiing next season.

https://krdo.com/news/top-stories/2021/ ... xt-season/

https://thecucharamountainpark.org/activities
rharriman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rharriman »

Thanks you both for the info, this is great news!! :-D

I will definitely be checking this out this year sometime. :thumbup:
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Some more related info. We own property there and would love to see it open in some form. The history of that resort never looks like a good bet, but here's hoping.

https://www.outtherecolorado.com/news/c ... c4f74.html
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
AndrewWade
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewWade »

Haven't heard of the old Cuchara ski resort before, In the choice of resorts, Breckenridge or Copper Mountain in CO would be good choices for big resorts. Both have a lot of long, naturally separated, single fall line beginner terrain with no steep sections, served by modern lifts, and with good amenities.
Ideal beginner terrain is tilted on one axis as opposed to two (just down, vs. down and sideways) without the need to traverse "yikes!" steep sections, and without wannabe, experts bombing through scaring beginners. Oh yeah, check with bluehouseskis.com to see if you'll find clues on the old Cuchara ski resort.
Last edited by AndrewWade on Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

"Rodolfo," here is one of my Incline friends. He had done Cuchara earlier this year...