Bindings! What's the word?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Re: Bindings! What's the word?

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I’ve been rocking my trusty fritchis, t2s and freerides for 20 seasons now, and still love them, I feel confident in them and they are super easy to get in and out of which is crucial for 14er skiing where you will take your skis on and off about an average of twenty times per descent. 😂

One upside is that there’s a decent selection of setups on Craigslist and what not for reasonable prices as everyone is moving to tech binding
ulvetano
14ers: 58  9  7 
13ers: 48 2 1
Trip Reports (20)

Post by ulvetano »

I've had a bit of fear with my Dynafits after Otina's trials and tribulations, but none-the-less sticking with them. A light setup is a game changer in my opinion and I'm a single quiver guy for all things in-bounds and out. I'm on DPS Pagoda Tours (105s), Dynafit ST Rotation, Maestrale boots, and BD Ascension skis (prefer the Glidelight). For me this type of setup has been great and allows you to travel fast and ski anything.
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

Spark R & D.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

I am loving my Dynafit TLT Superlites! The older I get the less weight I want to haul uphill. The annoying part is the low heel riser (and the price) :(
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... ite-2-0-10
NathanRL
14ers: 31  3  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NathanRL »

If anything'll get me to leave race bindings, it'll be the Ski Trab Titan Vario. Definitely want to try it out and see if it really releases like an alpine binding.
dsr80304
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dsr80304 »

I'll second that Shifts are no bueno for any significant touring or vertical. They are great for 50/50 skis, travel, sidecountry, but I'd recommend a dedicated touring binding for distance and vert
I'll also second inserts - I have one current pair of skis I like for both inbounds and BC and only takes 10-15 mins to switch em over from one to the other. The downside is that each pair of skis is that much cheaper (no required new bindings), so "saving" money on bindings = blowing alot more $$$ on more skis
wheresgibbs
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wheresgibbs »

ATK all the way -- have logged lots of time w/Dynafits and G3 Ions and very happy to have found ATK. Putting the new C-Raider 12 to the test this season and nothing but good words to say.
FWIW I am not huge and not aggressive. If I were, or if I were really concerned about about it, I would consider the Vipecs.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

After 8 years on Dynafits, I found two failed to release modes to snap bones, so I’m done. They’re still on my resort uphill skis, cause groomers.

Shifts can do big tours, just gotta have strong legs! So stop whining.

Any binding has failure modes that won’t release, and I’ll find them. I have Look Pivots on all my resort gear - and surprise - you can’t release perpendicularly out of them. Go fig. Thankfully I stopped the fall before unhinging my knee.

The more you play, the more chances for something to go wrong.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Snow_Dog_frassati
14ers: 58  8  5 
13ers: 84 4 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Snow_Dog_frassati »

wheresgibbs wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:51 pm ATK all the way -- have logged lots of time w/Dynafits and G3 Ions and very happy to have found ATK. Putting the new C-Raider 12 to the test this season and nothing but good words to say.
FWIW I am not huge and not aggressive. If I were, or if I were really concerned about about it, I would consider the Vipecs.
I'm all for team ATK. I remounted my skis after having endless durability headaches with my shifts. I don't hate shifts but I also recognize that they have some significant limitations if you're trying to do any substantial amount of backcountry skiing. I think they'd be great on a fat sidecountry ski that spends most of its time inbounds prehaps.

I have loved my ATKs and I can't see a reason to change. I think one of the biggest advantages is that the R12s are very light but still have independent pins vs U-springs. The do seem to release more predictably than I first thought. I'm most excited by the fact that the weight reduction has made me much faster on the up.

I've logged a few resort days on them as well. They did better than expected I think but I'll still be sticking with my resort skis for a variety of reasons
"A good decision yesterday doesn't absolve me from a bad decision today"
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

bergsteigen wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:58 pm After 8 years on Dynafits, I found two failed to release modes to snap bones, so I’m done. They’re still on my resort uphill skis, cause groomers.

I have Look Pivots on all my resort gear...
Why don't you put inserts in those skis?! You save so much money and add so much flexibility. I can't imagine ever mounting a binding with wood screws and epoxy ever again, and am not sure why anyone does it, ever.
Or maybe you do and I'm reading it wrong.
Anyway, inserts, my friends!
spoony
14ers: 21  14  3 
13ers: 5 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by spoony »

Not sure if people interested in this thread have listened already, but Cody Townsend has a pretty in-depth discussion on one of the Blister podcasts about bindings. He specifically addresses the Shift v. pin binding debate.

I think it is this one: https://blisterreview.com/podcasts/cody ... ons-ep-119

His take, admittedly as a sponsored Salomon athlete, seems pretty reasonable.
wheresgibbs
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wheresgibbs »

Snow_Dog_frassati wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:27 pm
wheresgibbs wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:51 pm ATK all the way -- have logged lots of time w/Dynafits and G3 Ions and very happy to have found ATK. Putting the new C-Raider 12 to the test this season and nothing but good words to say.
I'm all for team ATK. I remounted my skis after having endless durability headaches with my shifts. I don't hate shifts but I also recognize that they have some significant limitations if you're trying to do any substantial amount of backcountry skiing. I think they'd be great on a fat sidecountry ski that spends most of its time inbounds prehaps.

I have loved my ATKs and I can't see a reason to change. I think one of the biggest advantages is that the R12s are very light but still have independent pins vs U-springs. The do seem to release more predictably than I first thought. I'm most excited by the fact that the weight reduction has made me much faster on the up.

I've logged a few resort days on them as well. They did better than expected I think but I'll still be sticking with my resort skis for a variety of reasons
Team ATK! I've had one mishap on the C-Raiders and was happy with the release. The brakes are a little useless but after years w/o brakes, I'm just careful. I have about 30 days on them and no complaints- they're light, sturdy, and reliable. Also, they're sexy- never thought I'd say that about bindings, but these just look clean, simple, and efficient, and perform that way as well. Agreed on the benefits of the independent pins instead of the U. I feel very secure on them ripping down groomers if I skin at the resort, but since I have regular skis too, don't do more than that with them inbounds. Which is as much about the ski as the binding...

In my opinion the Ions skied better than the Dynafit, but the act of pulling the heel piece up to be able to rotate it was a pain, especially in snowy/icy conditions. And if I didn't make sure the heel was clicked back down to skin, it would occasionally rotate into ski mode on the skin track.