Bindings! What's the word?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
wheresgibbs
14ers: 12
13ers: 5

Re: Bindings! What's the word?

Post by wheresgibbs » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:36 am

Snow_Dog_frassati wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:27 pm
wheresgibbs wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:51 pm
ATK all the way -- have logged lots of time w/Dynafits and G3 Ions and very happy to have found ATK. Putting the new C-Raider 12 to the test this season and nothing but good words to say.
FWIW I am not huge and not aggressive. If I were, or if I were really concerned about about it, I would consider the Vipecs.
I'm all for team ATK. I remounted my skis after having endless durability headaches with my shifts. I don't hate shifts but I also recognize that they have some significant limitations if you're trying to do any substantial amount of backcountry skiing. I think they'd be great on a fat sidecountry ski that spends most of its time inbounds prehaps.

I have loved my ATKs and I can't see a reason to change. I think one of the biggest advantages is that the R12s are very light but still have independent pins vs U-springs. The do seem to release more predictably than I first thought. I'm most excited by the fact that the weight reduction has made me much faster on the up.

I've logged a few resort days on them as well. They did better than expected I think but I'll still be sticking with my resort skis for a variety of reasons
Team ATK! I've had one mishap on the C-Raiders and was happy with the release. The brakes are a little useless but after years w/o brakes, I'm just careful. I have about 30 days on them and no complaints- they're light, sturdy, and reliable. Also, they're sexy- never thought I'd say that about bindings, but these just look clean, simple, and efficient, and perform that way as well. Agreed on the benefits of the independent pins instead of the U. I feel very secure on them ripping down groomers if I skin at the resort, but since I have regular skis too, don't do more than that with them inbounds. Which is as much about the ski as the binding...

In my opinion the Ions skied better than the Dynafit, but the act of pulling the heel piece up to be able to rotate it was a pain, especially in snowy/icy conditions. And if I didn't make sure the heel was clicked back down to skin, it would occasionally rotate into ski mode on the skin track.
nsaladin
14ers: 58 1 5
13ers: 10 1

Post by nsaladin » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:45 am

He only reviews Salomon due to his affiliation, but some helpful info in here besides all of the marketing.

https://youtu.be/BedSGuuLW58
infinitexplorer
14ers: 21
13ers: 5

Post by infinitexplorer » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:39 pm

Make sure whatever you get has the ability to mount ski crampons for spring crust!
I've got some old Dynafit Verticals that are at least 10 years old and still going strong. I just added some Dynafit Superlight 175s to my quiver too. I have never had a prerelease with either of them in the resort or backcountry. I only lock the toes uphill, and I keep the heel release settings around 6 or 7. Everything has always worked like it should. 6'2" tall and 165lb
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58 46 22
13ers: 167 55 45
Trip Reports (7)

Post by BillMiddlebrook » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:06 pm

nsaladin wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:45 am
He only reviews Salomon due to his affiliation, but some helpful info in here besides all of the marketing.

https://youtu.be/BedSGuuLW58
In this video, Cody does a pretty good job at highlighting some of the main issues with each binding category and it's good that he pointed out "you shouldn't ski tech bindings at the resort." How different types of bindings release (or don't) is really important and I think way too many people jump into tech bindings without realizing what they're getting. As hybrid bindings evolve (shift :)), we will have more and more options to increase safety and better span both inbounds and backcountry skiing.
spoony
14ers: 19 12 3
13ers: 4 3

Post by spoony » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:10 am

infinitexplorer wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:39 pm
Make sure whatever you get has the ability to mount ski crampons for spring crust!
I've got some old Dynafit Verticals that are at least 10 years old and still going strong. I just added some Dynafit Superlight 175s to my quiver too. I have never had a prerelease with either of them in the resort or backcountry. I only lock the toes uphill, and I keep the heel release settings around 6 or 7. Everything has always worked like it should. 6'2" tall and 165lb
I have never found ski crampons to be particularly useful in Colorado. I know people swear by them in icier locales, e.g., PNW and Sierra, but I have found that skins are sufficient in almost every skin track I have climbed in Colorado. And in instances where there is no skin track, if the slope is steep/icy enough to slip with skins on, it has been too steep for ski crampons to be useful so I have just booted instead of skied.

Curious what others think?
lodgling
14ers: 58 57 2
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (11)

Post by lodgling » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:21 am

I think ski crampons are useful for spring mountaineering in CO. They are good for side-hilling on refrozen snow, which I think is about the most awkward thing you can do on skis. I have also had a few occasions where they came up huge for skinning steep crust that was supportable on skis, but not for booting. However, I recommend a "fixed" ski crampon, like this one from Voile: https://www.voile.com/voile-ski-crampon-96mm.html which I think is better than the ones that attach to your bindings as it doesn't raise off the ski when you are using the highest climbing bars.
Barnold41
14ers: 12
13ers: 9

Post by Barnold41 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:18 pm

Just picked up the Burton Hitchhikers, which are Sparks with Burton straps sold under the Burton name. Haven't had the chance to test them out yet but will definitely post again once I do. For anyone still looking for split bindings, Burton still has them in mediums on their site.