Skiing Jacque Peak

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nedryarson
14ers: 24  1 
13ers: 73 3 1
Trip Reports (2)

Skiing Jacque Peak

Post by nedryarson »

Was surprised to only see one ski TR for this peak but I'm sure others have done it. After lifts close for the season, would there be a preference on skinning up from the Copper base area or instead from Hwy 91 and following Copper Creek?
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Skiing Jacque Peak

Post by davebobk47 »

Could also be done from Janet's Cabin.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Going in to Jacque from CO91 involves trespassing through Climax Mine, which is active and not recommended.

We skied Jacque from the resort one spring after it was closed for the season. There were a few short sections we had to take skis off to cross service roads, but we generally skinned up the path of the American Flyer lift and worked our way up the ridge on Jacque via Union. Skied the SE face for about 1000' and then we went up Tucker too and skied the Nacho? They changed their run names when they put the lift up Tucker, so not sure what our route is called now. Then took up a service road (Otto Bahn) to the Copper/Union saddle and down to the village via some greens that were too sticky to get any momentum in the afternoon. Did not run into any issues, but not sure what Copper's official policy is on after season skinning. I skinned up the 12er Copper once too and there were some maintenance guys up on snowmobiles that passed me and nobody kicked me off.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:51 am ...not sure what Copper's official policy is on after season skinning.
Copper's on National Forest land, so could they even tell you not to be there if they wanted to?
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

9patrickmurphy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:31 pm
Chicago Transplant wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:51 am ...not sure what Copper's official policy is on after season skinning.
Copper's on National Forest land, so could they even tell you not to be there if they wanted to?
Depends on their use permit. Parts of Beaver Creek are closed in the spring for Elk Calving, for example. Usually those dates fall with when there is no snow to skin up anyway, but it does limit shoulder season hiking and biking. Not sure if Copper has anything like that in their permit.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

The only time I skied in that area, it was from Janet's cabin.