Uphill Access info

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (37)

Uphill Access info

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

Colorado Ski Country USA has info for all except Vail Resorts, which is not a member: https://www.coloradoski.com/covid-19

Some firsthand and therefore anecdotal notes from a few outings in the past few days...

- Loveland’s main parking lot was not open this morning. They were conducting snow removal ops when I was on my way up; hopefully this means they’re planning to have it open the rest of the week as per usual (7a-5p, Monday-Thursday). If not, I’d guess that they’ll continue to offer parking at the lot just east of the Valley (last turnoff before the access road becomes a one-way on-ramp) as they did today.

- They were also grooming on-mountain today - can personally confirm that Uphill Route A is groomed all the way up to the top of Ptarmigan, and it looked like they were doing the same for Route B as well.

- Mary Jane was somewhat less of a s—-show on Saturday than Loveland, L. Pass, or Berthoud Pass; there was parking to be had in the lot! Hot tamale!

Be safe, folks.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
arianna2
14ers: 58 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (45)

Re: Uphill Access info

Post by arianna2 »

Thank you for the link. I couldn't figure out where to find out what was open.
HikesInGeologicTime
Trip Reports (37)

Glad it helped someone else, too! It definitely beats going through each area’s individual website for a yes or no.
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
Yuppers123
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Yuppers123 »

As of 3/25, the FS will close access to uphill at Loveland.....
HikesInGeologicTime
Trip Reports (37)

Yuppers123 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:12 am As of 3/25, the FS will close access to uphill at Loveland.....
Winter Park and Steamboat are also closing after today, according to CSCUSA. X(
arianna2
Trip Reports (45)

Post by arianna2 »

Anybody know why they are closing uphill access in ski areas. Some of these areas or at least part of them are not avy terrain. I don't buy the avoiding areas where you can get hurt and tax the system. You can't close public lands where people could do anything like 4 wheeling, biking, and yes even just walking (which could lead to injury) and I think this just displaces more people into more dangerous territory.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

arianna2 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:42 pm Anybody know why they are closing uphill access in ski areas.
Official reason: "social distancing"
Real reason: they don't want to deal with the junkshow

Closing off all these places isn't going to make the people disappear, it'll just funnel them in to fewer and fewer spots. Even if a number of folks are dissuaded from going there will be more than enough to make Loveland and Berthoud passes all-time historic nightmares this coming weekend. I'd rather see every resort accessible, which would spread people out more. April is only a week away, the issue of skiers is about to go away.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Bean wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:40 pm Closing off all these places isn't going to make the people disappear, it'll just funnel them in to fewer and fewer spots. Even if a number of folks are dissuaded from going there will be more than enough to make Loveland and Berthoud passes all-time historic nightmares this coming weekend. I'd rather see every resort accessible, which would spread people out more. April is only a week away, the issue of skiers is about to go away.
Hoosier pass today was busier than I was expecting for a Tuesday in early spring. But then I realized that it was people who were hiking up three or five hundred feet up the hill on North Star's flanks and then skiing down. I only saw two people past the old private property sign but at least a dozen, at noon, on the sledding hill. Closed ski areas mean busy paved mountain passes til we get some melting.
cottonmountaineering
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

arianna2 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:42 pm Anybody know why they are closing uphill access in ski areas. Some of these areas or at least part of them are not avy terrain. I don't buy the avoiding areas where you can get hurt and tax the system. You can't close public lands where people could do anything like 4 wheeling, biking, and yes even just walking (which could lead to injury) and I think this just displaces more people into more dangerous territory.
https://www.summitdaily.com/news/lovela ... land-pass/
arianna2
Trip Reports (45)

Post by arianna2 »

Bean wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:40 pm
arianna2 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:42 pm Anybody know why they are closing uphill access in ski areas.
Official reason: "social distancing"
Real reason: they don't want to deal with the junkshow

Closing off all these places isn't going to make the people disappear, it'll just funnel them in to fewer and fewer spots. Even if a number of folks are dissuaded from going there will be more than enough to make Loveland and Berthoud passes all-time historic nightmares this coming weekend. I'd rather see every resort accessible, which would spread people out more. April is only a week away, the issue of skiers is about to go away.
Totally agree.
arianna2
Trip Reports (45)

Post by arianna2 »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:26 pm
arianna2 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:42 pm Anybody know why they are closing uphill access in ski areas. Some of these areas or at least part of them are not avy terrain. I don't buy the avoiding areas where you can get hurt and tax the system. You can't close public lands where people could do anything like 4 wheeling, biking, and yes even just walking (which could lead to injury) and I think this just displaces more people into more dangerous territory.

Seriously people.....dumbs**Ts. Ruin it for the rest of us who just want to get in the car, drive to a reasonably safe area, and hike up a mountain. I have no interest in tailgating.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

arianna2 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:50 am
cottonmountaineering wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:26 pm

Seriously people.....dumbs**Ts. Ruin it for the rest of us who just want to get in the car, drive to a reasonably safe area, and hike up a mountain. I have no interest in tailgating.
I think the internet cliche is "this why we can't have nice things." The rules are pretty simple....minimize contact. You can't follow that rule, more specific/restrictive rules get put in place. It's the same reason denver went into lockdown. I have trail access out my back yard onto north table mountain and i have yet to be out there just because it doesn't make that much sense based on what we are trying to achieve here.