Uphill Access info

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (37)

Re: Uphill Access info

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

arianna2 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:50 am
cottonmountaineering wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:26 pm
arianna2 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:42 pm Anybody know why they are closing uphill access in ski areas. Some of these areas or at least part of them are not avy terrain. I don't buy the avoiding areas where you can get hurt and tax the system. You can't close public lands where people could do anything like 4 wheeling, biking, and yes even just walking (which could lead to injury) and I think this just displaces more people into more dangerous territory.
https://www.summitdaily.com/news/lovela ... land-pass/

Seriously people.....dumbs**Ts. Ruin it for the rest of us who just want to get in the car, drive to a reasonably safe area, and hike up a mountain. I have no interest in tailgating.
Yep. This is especially infuriating to me, as someone who is fortunate enough to be able to get out on the weekdays, when everyone else I encountered from a minimum of 6’ away also prioritized a reasonably safe workout with abundant fresh air over (apparently) sticking it to The Man’s party-pooping ways...but now we’re getting punished too.

At least I’m also fortunate enough to have alternate options nearby. And Monarch is sorta day-trip-able from where I am, though it’s definitely a full day, and not one I’d want to make with iffy roads, etc.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I hiked Sniktau ridge Tuesday. The parking areas were full of skiers, but not over flowing like in the weekend video. Deep, fresh snow made the hike harder. Usually its a windswept walkup.

How is CDOT implementing the ban?
Grant P
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Grant P »

I've gone a few times to a ski area near Grand Junction. Although officially closed to uphill access, nobody was there shooing skiers away. There were a ton of tracks. Seems like mostly a means to eschew liability if someone gets hurt - fair.
There were several cars there, but thankfully no tailgate parties or much interaction at all between groups... staying apart and making conservative route choices I think brings the risk to an acceptable level.