Spring skiing

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
grahampa
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (1)

Spring skiing

Post by grahampa »

So what is the consensus on skiing steep lines without a freeze? The main concern is still wet slide activity correct? I mean people ski year round so there has to be a point where it's fairly safe again
"Because it's there."
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Spring skiing

Post by lodgling »

If skies are clear overnight, above tree line, generally snow will refreeze regardless of air temperature.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

lodgling wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:20 pm If skies are clear overnight, above tree line, generally snow will refreeze regardless of air temperature.
This.

Conversely, be wary of light freezes after cloudy nights.
Make wilderness less accessible.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

grahampa wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:13 pm So what is the consensus on skiing steep lines without a freeze?
The consensus is don't ski steep lines without a solid freeze.
grahampa
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (1)

Post by grahampa »

Hmm well the last two days I skied in RMNP on longs north face and flattops north couloir. The latter was much lower in elevation and did not have more than a small freeze and still skied quite hard. Does not see much sunlight. Aspect, elevation, amount of sunlight / cloud cover all have a big impact on what you're skiing. All I've been seeing are south and east facing slopes sliding in the last few days.

MonGoose wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:27 am
grahampa wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:13 pm So what is the consensus on skiing steep lines without a freeze?
The consensus is don't ski steep lines without a solid freeze.
Are we allowed to climb snow without a solid freeze because it's not as likely to create a wet slide or are all snow climbs / recreation off the table without a freeze?
"Because it's there."
Gueza
14ers: 58  58  21 
13ers: 42 18
Trip Reports (15)

Post by Gueza »

All recreation in or below steep snow covered terrain without a good freeze is not recommended. Even if you don't trigger a wet slide (or get caught in one that naturally releases above you) it's not very fun climbing or skiing in such conditions and can be downright dangerous.
Good luck breeds bad habits.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

The consensus is basically this for spring skiing steep lines.

I've followed this for years now solid freeze at tree line the night before, be off E aspects by 8-9am, S by 9-10am, West by 10-11pm, North by 11-Noon. First read that in the Dawson guide, been following that basic game plan for 21 years now.

As for skiing year round, there's definitely a point where the snowpack changes from spring to mature summer snowpack, where these rules don't necessarily apply, but I don't ski in those conditions so I can't comment.