Finding New Backcounty Partners

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
arostek
14ers: 53  2  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Finding New Backcounty Partners

Post by arostek »

Live in Summit County, and I have been skiing with the same limited group of backcountry ski partners for the last two seasons. Over that time I have actively worked on building up my skills, resources and network of people to go skiing with, but I have had little luck on the later. For obvious reasons I get people being slightly hesitant to find new partners (I am not gung-ho about reaching out on forums either), but I feel like this is a better place than most of getting advice.

This year I am finally deciding to ski some of the 14ers in the winter, even though it seems like a hell of a lot more work than anything in Zuma. I have lived in the county for 3 years, and in that time I have climbed 30 of the 14,000 foot peaks including Little Bear and Pyramid.

I am not so frequent on this site, but I will keep an I out since posting this.
FB_IMG_1554948013114.jpg
FB_IMG_1554948013114.jpg (32.93 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
I don't even remember where this is from, boo (bamboo) lends me to think Copper on a powder day.
20190330_114212.jpg
20190330_114212.jpg (171.17 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
One of my "senior friends" Rock with me on the way up Peak 1, dropped into our new/old slide path - Silent Bob anyone.
cardgenius
14ers: 40  8  4 
13ers: 77 8 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Finding New Backcounty Partners

Post by cardgenius »

My buddy and I have been looking to add a new partner or two. We don’t do much in calander winter but we get out as much as possible once spring comes.

What peaks are looking at this year?
dcruz654
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 94 12 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dcruz654 »

Also, in summit county and looking to get out and ski some peaks/couloirs. I've got buddies I ride mellow/short days with, but it's hard finding people with larger/harder goals in mind. I'm free Sunday and Monday if anyone is trying to get out.
dustj
14ers: 58  16  1 
13ers: 126 19 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dustj »

Always happy to get out with new people. Unless you're going to call the new path Silent Bob...
Feel free to shoot me a PM.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 120 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

I also live in Summit and ski quite a bit. This past week we hit Quandary, Pacific, Arkansas and Buffalo, 3/4 before work, oh and backed off frozen SFB. Most lines will probably be a repeat for me, but could always add to the partner's pool.
arostek
14ers: 53  2  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by arostek »

Wow, suprised by the number of replies. I will message you all in private messages.

Thanks everyone.
mountainute
14ers: 42  1  5 
13ers: 16 1 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountainute »

Hey all,
I can always use more backcountry partners. I ski and split board.
Mountainute
mcgrawt9
14ers: 36  9  1 
13ers: 29 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mcgrawt9 »

Anyone looking to get out 5/24, 5/25, or 5/26? I have avi gear and completed my AIARE level 1 last month. Not looking to do anything too hardcore. Coming from Denver, pretty open to anything within 3 hours of Denver (doesn’t have to be a 14er).
TELEMARK
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TELEMARK »

I might be doing Indie Pass or Loveland Pass area, or even Quandry Cristo Coulior Memorial Day weekend - depending on weather and logistics (and if they get the pass open). I try to keep it sane - not into scary mountaineering.

May try something this weekend, too - are you available for that?.

Still in wait and see mode. Stay tuned...

MM
mcgrawt9
14ers: 36  9  1 
13ers: 29 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mcgrawt9 »

TELEMARK wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:34 pm I might be doing Indie Pass or Loveland Pass area, or even Quandry Cristo Coulior Memorial Day weekend - depending on weather and logistics (and if they get the pass open). I try to keep it sane - not into scary mountaineering.

May try something this weekend, too - are you available for that?.

Still in wait and see mode. Stay tuned...

MM
Unfortunately gone this weekend.