McNamara Hut Beta?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davisrice4
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 14 3
Trip Reports (0)

McNamara Hut Beta?

Post by davisrice4 »

I am staying the night in the McNamara Hut at the end of April. As far as skiing is there anything better than bald knob? 10th mtn doesn't have a whole lot on ski routes while around there. Anyone have any experience finding fun lines around here? Fingers crossed for a more stable snowpack by that time, but we all know how that could go!
gotpow
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Re: McNamara Hut Beta?

Post by gotpow »

I did 3 days at McNamara Hut last year around this time. Bald Knob is definitely the de facto skiing, its right outside the door and you can ski directly back to the hut. Perfect low angled gladed skiing for a red flag day or just fun lappable skiing for all skill levels. You can ski the aspects directly east and west of the main gladed trees on the knob, but it will be tighter tree skiing (still good, especially the west side)

On the way out, we ascended the ridge prominence west of the knob and were able to descend back to Van Horn Park that way, which was a nice alternative (and extra skiing!) compared to the mile of side-hilling hell the trail takes just before the hut.

I was under the impression you could probably head east and get to some of the larger alpine terrain of the western Sawatch, but it would be several miles. If you are looking for a long tour, striking out that way could yield some really awesome skiing (but I have no beta for you there). Have fun!