Backcountry Touring and 14er Skiing Progression

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: Backcountry Touring and 14er Skiing Progression

Post by bergsteigen »

gb wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:25 am
mk12 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:28 am On a slightly different note, what is everyone's preferred ski size (specifically waist size) for spring Colorado conditions? Debating between getting a skimo race ski or one that's more in the mid-70s waist width.
A skimo ski or even something in the mid 70's is woefully too skinny for springtime skiing IMO. Remember that in spring you're likely to find every condition imaginable, and in almost every case, something wider will be better. Anything will do ok in perfect corn or powder, but spring is also filled with windcrusts, suncrusts and classic trapdoor ski mankaineering- and for that, you'll be grateful for something wider. 105 is the sweet spot for a large contingent of spring skiers, IMO. The mid 90's waisted ski is to me, the worst of all worlds- not wide enough to see the benefits of the wider skis in the aforementioned conditions, but not skinny enough to see the weight gains of the tiny skis. At least with the tiny skis you'll get that benefit, and you'll just know that the skiing will suck and just deal with it if you're trying to link up huge days or something.
Punchy variable early spring conditions is why I ski my 112’s till it’s fully corn season. I don’t like them that fat for the firm steeps though, the edging just feels awkward and is tough on the knees. I used to have 105 as my all around, but split to 90 and 112.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

gb wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:25 am
mk12 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:28 am On a slightly different note, what is everyone's preferred ski size (specifically waist size) for spring Colorado conditions? Debating between getting a skimo race ski or one that's more in the mid-70s waist width.
A skimo ski or even something in the mid 70's is woefully too skinny for springtime skiing IMO. Remember that in spring you're likely to find every condition imaginable, and in almost every case, something wider will be better. Anything will do ok in perfect corn or powder, but spring is also filled with windcrusts, suncrusts and classic trapdoor ski mankaineering- and for that, you'll be grateful for something wider. 105 is the sweet spot for a large contingent of spring skiers, IMO. The mid 90's waisted ski is to me, the worst of all worlds- not wide enough to see the benefits of the wider skis in the aforementioned conditions, but not skinny enough to see the weight gains of the tiny skis. At least with the tiny skis you'll get that benefit, and you'll just know that the skiing will suck and just deal with it if you're trying to link up huge days or something.
No wonder I’m a JONG, I ski a 94mm ski in the spring time
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

I use 105 for almost everything.
Have 76 and 115, but those are for special occasions.
mk12
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mk12 »

Cool. I have a 106 setup which seems to be ideal. Thanks!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Good comments so far!

When I’m heading to a steep BC peak line, I, too, prefer a more narrow ski (90s) because it puts my feet closer to the slope when on-edge, like landing jump turns, working around obstacles, or taking a pic break. I’m talking 45+ degree lines.

For general peak skiing, I bring a 98 or 106 based on steepness, snow conditions and desired gear weight for that day.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I agree with Bill and Otina that having skinnier skis on steeps helps keep the edge and boot closer, which means more control on jump turns. I also like skinnier skis on packed snow in general, I see people skiing resort groomers in 105+ and they must be destroying their knees doing it. Wider skis on packed snow stresses your MCL because it throws your boot-knee-hip alignment inwards more (think "knock kneed").

I prefer skinnier skis than most, my widest is a 94! I am typically in the mid to upper 80's, my touring skis are currently 88 actually. A lot of my spring descents the upper mountain is still pretty firm. I am normally the guy on the summit waiting for an hour for the snow to soften, not the one racing the wet slide danger up the boot pack. So I am sure that factors in to my ski width preference. There have been a few days where a crust has given me fits, but I think overall I have rarely wished I had a fatter ski.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
SchralpTheGnar
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Unless your skiing the icelantic shaman skis, those fat skis shred the groomahs
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

I think my 105s carve pretty well.
I very rarely wish for a skinnier ski.
While skiing.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Yes, a lot of good responses here! FWIW... I've had several pair of skis in the past but at this time in my life, I can't justify having more than one pair and found that having a one 'do-it-all' ski has been awesome. The last 10 years I rode a 94mm underfoot and decided to up that to a 96 this year - not too skinny, not too wide - and they've been more than I could ask for both on and off piste!
andrewdoumont
14ers: 7  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by andrewdoumont »

What do you all think about ski length for ski mountaineering type applications?

My thoughts were shorter skis would be lighter and be quicker to turn in tight couloirs and such.

I am 6'3" and on the light side. My touring setup is 185cm, but was considering going shorter for a more mountaineering focused setup.

If you say shorter, how much shorter do you think? If not shorter, why not?

Thanks
SchralpTheGnar
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I’m 5’11” and ski 185s and find them to be very good. It’s all about the confidence you have in your gear.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

andrewdoumont wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:25 pm What do you all think about ski length for ski mountaineering type applications?

My thoughts were shorter skis would be lighter and be quicker to turn in tight couloirs and such.
I’m 164 and used to ski 180s for over a decade. I’ve since gone down to 158s for most applications. I prefer a shorter turning radius for tight couloirs. Lengthier is really only good for stability at speed. You do need to be pretty comfortable with your equipment, so practice is useful. You can get used to whatever you use.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina