Backcountry Ski & Snowboard Routes: Colorado

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Backcountry Ski & Snowboard Routes: Colorado

Post by lodgling »

I just ordered a copy of Backcountry Ski & Snowboard Routes: Colorado and I am fired up to see how it turned out.

This book is the latest and greatest project of the ski finishers Frank and Brittany up in CB. Frank posts here as gb. Their 14erskiers blog has a video up with route photos: https://14erskiers.com/blog/2017/10/sto ... -colorado/. I'll report back when I see a copy. I've enjoyed their blog over the years and can't wait to have something tangible to look at.
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

Re: Backcountry Ski & Snowboard Routes: Colorado

Post by SolarAlex »

i really hope #31 isn't what i think it is
Vincit Qui Patitur
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

SolarAlex wrote:i really hope #31 isn't what i think it is

Word is out.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Has been for quite a while actually
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

SolarAlex wrote:i really hope #31 isn't what i think it is
It is. Just opened my copy.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

Thanks Lodgling! We hope you like the book!

As for route 31, or any other routes in the book, we tried to be thoughtful and respectful about the routes we included. In this case the route is already in Fritz's Tenmile book, so we felt like the cat was already out of the bag on that one.

We're starting to fill out our book tour events, so hopefully we'll meet many of you there. We'll keep updating this page, so check back: https://14erskiers.com/blog/book-tour-events/

PS- For fans of Ben and Brian's book, there is basically no overlap. So you can still buy our book without seeing a bunch of repeats, and you can buy theirs at the same time as ours, too, if you don't already own it :)
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Last edited by susanjoypaul on Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

susanjoypaul wrote:If you haven't already, you may want to hit up your publisher or distributor for a book signing at OR, especially since it's in Denver now. I did one last year in SLC and it was a lot of fun, plus--free passes to OR! There's usually no money involved but most publishers will spot you free books to give away, and it's a great way to meet a lot of people in the industry and some of your readers in a short time.

Good luck with the book and the tour!
Thanks so much! We usually go to SIA (now also OR), so that's a good point to be sure to bring a few extra copies :)
lodgling
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

I've been meaning to post my thoughts about the book, but I've been too busy. Lou does a pretty good job:

https://www.wildsnow.com/23406/konsella ... /#comments

My only criticism was going to be the lack of color that I've grown accustomed to with Fritz's guidebooks (including the route discussed above), but Brittany gives a pretty good explanation for that on Lou's blog. Since there is so much information included, the maps and photos are a bit small, but in this gps era I don't think that matters. In any event, I look forward to hitting up some of these routes at some point if I can ever get monkey off my back.
bond22
14ers: 22 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bond22 »

Hmm I keep trying to access the link but it's saying I'm blacklisted :wft:
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

bond22 wrote:Hmm I keep trying to access the link but it's saying I'm blacklisted :wft:
Me too. They must know I don't ski.
lodgling
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

Bizarre. I thought Lou only blacklisted telemarkers. Anyways, it's wildsnow.com.