14ers sking/riding with dogs

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
stevo6868
14ers: 18  5  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

14ers sking/riding with dogs

Post by stevo6868 »

As the snow is starting to arrive in the mountains I can’t help but to start researching different lines to snowboard down. I just wanted to hear any suggestions or experiences in which someone has climbed and skied/rode down with their pooch. It’s very hard for me to go hiking without mine because he knows what I use my backpack for and does naughty things if I don’t take him with me. With that being said I’m not looking to kill my dog he is a husky and has hiked numerous 14ers in all seasons (with many 15+ mile trips, driving to different 14ers and hiking them consecutively). So there’s not many concerns with strength and length ( obviously I take into consideration how him and I are performing at any given time).it should also be blatantly clear I take all hazards into consideration along with ambient conditions, although no one is ever truly prepared for the possibilities mountains can unleash. As far as snowboarding descents we’ve only done grays, bierstadt, and Elbert together in class 1 & class 2 fashion and he’s had the time of his life. Like I said I’m not trying to murder my dog but I’m open to slightly more difficult descents along with any other lines people have done with their dogs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :-D
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: 14ers sking/riding with dogs

Post by bergsteigen »

My ski partner brings his border collie on many ski tours. The ones he doesn't bring him on are usually routes where there is rock fall danger, the multiple overnights or the really long days (like day tripping RGP). My ski TR's should have at least 1 photo of Max Dynafit in them from 2014 on, should you want to see examples.

Best thing you can do is take your dog on BC ski touring days and build up the skills, steepness, mileage and elevation gain - just like you would do as a human.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Timothy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Timothy »

arrrggh! another dog post...
שְׁמַע יִשְׂרָאֵל יְהוָה אֱלֹהֵינוּ יְהוָה אֶחָֽד׃‎
stevo6868
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stevo6868 »

Timothy wrote:arrrggh! another dog post...
Deal with it... :lol: or even better stay out of it... pirate
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

For me, there is a defined line for when dogs should be with you. I'll take Ruby out for any winter-spring tour when the snow is soft, but she stays home on mountaineering trips.

I've seen dogs on the Tuning Fork on Torreys twice on early morning frozen spring snow. In both cases, their claws appeared to give them enough purchase to climb the 30-35 degree frozen snow, but I got the impression that it was at the cusp of what they could handle. I simply don't want to risk the possibility of killing my dog (and watching it happen) because I wanted her out getting rad with me.

Anyways, Husky's are tough snow loving dogs so the best you can do is gradually work up in difficulty and make sure to draw a line where it is no longer safe for them.

Also, remember that ski and snowboard edges are sharp, and dog's legs are soft and fleshy.
Make wilderness less accessible.
stevo6868
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stevo6868 »

Thanks for the input I was looking at the tuning fork as a possibility just wasn’t sure what other people have done with it. He managed pretty good going up the west slopes on bierstadt in February and we took a more direct line from the willows to the summit as opposed to the switchbacks. With stability mitigated as best as possible, I’m hoping to get several calendar winter climbs in so we’ll see what happens!
brech
14ers: 36  4  1 
13ers: 22 4 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by brech »

I ski with my Husky quite a bit, he is 4 and has been in the bc with me since he was 3 months old.
A couple of things.
1.) I keep him on a joring lead whenever we are around a lot of other people and dogs. Joring down from butlers is a blast we stop and he sits around other people.
2.) Up in the bowls he is off leash and we have a good time skiing together he has been in snow above my knees and because of his breed does very well. Huskies don't have issues with ice in their pads due to their coat and blood circulation to their feet. Mushers Secret is a good wax for their feet and helps to protect their pads, He also has googles for UV protection as their eyes are sensitive to damage, still working on keeping them on :)
3.) In the spring he has skied things like Bancroft, Guyot and radiobeacon with me.. On radiobeacon some other skiers took the couloir down and I chose to take him down a lower angle route.
4.) Pieps makes a beacon for dogs or other important objects, it works on a different freq from the standard beacons, with a Pieps dsp pro you can switch between them to search for people or dogs.
5.) Because he is my best friend and hasn't had avy training I am responsible for his safety, so we generally don't ski really sketchy stuff or anything more than about 35 deg (only on compacted spring snow).
Have a great time and perhaps we'll see you out there sometime.
Niko and I at Bulters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U12Xr8-pNTA&t=52s
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

brech wrote:I ski with my Husky quite a bit, he is 4 and has been in the bc with me since he was 3 months old. (snip) Niko and I at Bulters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U12Xr8-pNTA&t=52s
What a fun video! Great winter time dog.
medic1369
Trip Reports (0)

Post by medic1369 »

● Experience comes from f*cking up and somehow managing not to die.

● Not everyone gleans the lessons of experience.
brech
14ers: 36  4  1 
13ers: 22 4 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by brech »

Respectfully I do not agree with the author.
it is the backcountry a large expanse with plenty of room for you and my dog and I.
He is very well suited to this environment, we seek less crowded places and I always make sure he is well mannered and make sure if anyone is.u.comfortable with a dog that he gives them plenty of space.
He and I have climbed 15 or so peaks over 13k and skied quite a bit. We have encountered big horn and moose and been fine.
I was just sharing some experience with another dog owner not sure why others want to jump into such a conversation.
So I guess if your telling me I shouldn't take my dog to.the.bc seems like there is plenty of.room and sorry but, that is not going to happen. Have a great day and find something happy and positive to chat about.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

stevo6868 wrote:Thanks for the input I was looking at the tuning fork as a possibility just wasn’t sure what other people have done with it. He managed pretty good going up the west slopes on bierstadt in February and we took a more direct line from the willows to the summit as opposed to the switchbacks. With stability mitigated as best as possible, I’m hoping to get several calendar winter climbs in so we’ll see what happens!
I have done the Tuning Fork with my dog (border collie/husky mix), and would agree with DaveB that it was on the cusp of her ability levels - and this is a VERY tough, agile, cold-weather dog that seems built (and lives for) snow.

In general, I just try to be honest with myself and use common sense in answering the basic question: will my dog be a safety hazard/liability to me, herself, or others? If any of the answers is "no", I won't take her. Otherwise, I usually do. I'm sorry to say, but the suggestion in the above-quoted article that I should take into account someone's irrational fear of dogs is not something I'm particularly concerned about.
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

I read the article. Valid points on the dog poop on the trail and increased risk of dog injury (both ski edges cutting and joint issues).

My main touring partner always used to bring his dog with us and I always tried to avoid him (the dog) but he was always getting too close- I was afraid of cutting the dog with my edges and it almost happened several times. His Dog eventually got trashed hip joint (not sure if this was due to running in deep snow as the article suggests could be the reason or not) so doesn't come with us anymore. To be honest, it's a lot less stressful now. I can see there would be better terrain for a dog than what we did, but the dog poop problem could be a serious issue in popular areas.