Tuning fork ski logistics

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Tuning fork ski logistics

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Looking to ski this on Saturday. Is there still enough snow in it to ski? Would you hike the standard trail and then try to get back to the trailhead from grizzly? Boot pack up it from grizzly? Seems like lots of options, Looking for the simplest option, have 4x4. Thanks
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Tuning fork ski logistics

Post by AlexeyD »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:Would you hike the standard trail and then try to get back to the trailhead from grizzly? Boot pack up it from grizzly?
I'd suggest the second. But that's mostly because of personal preferences: 1) climbing up what I ski down, 2) not walking on roads, if possible, 3) not hiking a trail with a bajillion other people.

As for recent conditions, the last time I saw it was over a week ago (Sat the 3rd) and it looked really fat. Can't say what it's like now, but in 2015 we skied it on something like June 27 and there was still about 2.5k of continuous snow, so if I had to guess it should still be pretty good. Enjoy!
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

I'm sure others who were closer to the action will pipe in, but from ridge between Cupid and Grizz yesterday I saw a group of 10-12 going down and appearing to have a blast. Looked pretty fat, if a bit thin at the drop in.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Tuning Fork is in fat. Left branch should go to the ridge, or close enough. Yesterday was Carl and Benner's GAGB season ending ski party. 4x4 to the base, climb and ski is the norm.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

There is a very defined booter all the way up TF. I'd say this upcoming weekend is the last one where it would be worth it to go for this line, but that's just my take. I got 3 solid core shots yesterday skiing full speed over rocks lurking beneath the shallow snowpack. The top was only melted out for 20 feet from the ridge, but I wouldn't be surprised if that rapidly decreases this week. With that being said, it was a solid overall ski with plenty of corn.

Also - That road back in Grizzly Gulch seems to get a little rougher every year.
Obese_goat
14ers: 9 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Obese_goat »

Yall are making me want to go right now. 530 start would be too late for my fat ass. I need at least 330 on trail. Still haven't gotten it and I want it sofaking bad. Tried to get it from cdot corner on June 3rd and failed. Hopefully try to give it another go before the weekend gets here. Maybe i can tag along with you hero? I do not have crampons only microspikes so I've been a puss about climbing directly up it. Sounds like we should probably drive to it and use that boot pack asap though oi!
“The mountain has left me feeling renewed, more content and positive than I’ve been for weeks, as if something has been given back after a long absence, as if my eyes have opened once again. For this time at least, I’ve let myself be rooted in the unshakable sanity of the senses, spared my mind the burden of too much thinking, turned myself outward to experience the world and inward to savor the pleasures it has given me.”― Richard Nelson

"Going to the mountains is going home.”― John Muir
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Here is a pic from Sniktau on Saturday (6/10).
Torreys.jpg
Torreys.jpg (718.93 KiB) Viewed 3101 times
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
SchralpTheGnar
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Cool, looks like there's snow on the slopes, thanks to all for the help and advice.
k-berger
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 30 8 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by k-berger »

As far as the 4x4 road is concerned, it sounds like a mud pit and some creek crossings are the cruxes. Is this road something a stock 4Runner could handle?
Summitskier11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Summitskier11 »

lordhelmut wrote:There is a very defined booter all the way up TF. I'd say this upcoming weekend is the last one where it would be worth it to go for this line, but that's just my take. I got 3 solid core shots yesterday skiing full speed over rocks lurking beneath the shallow snowpack. The top was only melted out for 20 feet from the ridge, but I wouldn't be surprised if that rapidly decreases this week. With that being said, it was a solid overall ski with plenty of corn.

Also - That road back in Grizzly Gulch seems to get a little rougher every year.

Full boot pack to summit? As in no skins attached?
SchralpTheGnar
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

k-berger wrote:As far as the 4x4 road is concerned, it sounds like a mud pit and some creek crossings are the cruxes. Is this road something a stock 4Runner could handle?
No problems at all so long as you don't mind potentially losing your vehicle, if you do, just park and walk it, at 2 miles, 1000 feet of elevation gain you should be able to hike that in 15 minutes
Obese_goat
14ers: 9 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Obese_goat »

Low of 45 tonight. Yeesh. What do you think schralp? You going for it!?