Tuning fork ski logistics

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
k-berger
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 30 8 2
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Tuning fork ski logistics

Post by k-berger »

Skied it today and it was in great shape. Firm on the climb and softened up nicely for the decent. Road was fine for 4runner. I'll post another thread, but I found an ice axe halfway up tuning in the AM. If it is yours shoot me a PM.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Skied it today along with 45 of my closest friends, counted another 4 dozen or so in the dead dog. River crossings were over the passengers window and flooded the car. Snow conditions were bullet proof ice on the ascent and blower on the descent.
Obese_goat
14ers: 9 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Obese_goat »

f**k. I need new friends. I have been too puss to drive back there. I just want to get past those river crossings staying dry!
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

if you don't want to drive up the road, i think it would be pretty wizard to hike the standard route and then ski down that line and just hike out grizzly gulch road, you could bring sneakers and just do the river crossings in those, then hitch back up to the standard TH, but it's definitely preferable to do the drive, bootpack up, then back down, but man that river is deep.
randomboulder
14ers: 5  2  1 
13ers: 8 5 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by randomboulder »

k-berger wrote:Skied it today and it was in great shape. Firm on the climb and softened up nicely for the decent. Road was fine for 4runner. I'll post another thread, but I found an ice axe halfway up tuning in the AM. If it is yours shoot me a PM.
K-berger, did you do all the creek crossings in your 4Runner or did you park early on and hike the rest of the way? Thinking about heading up TF this weekend. I've got a 2015 stock 4Runner and have done 4wd roads, but creek crossings always make me a bit nervous. Is Schralp's photo for real? :wft: 8-[
k-berger
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 30 8 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by k-berger »

randomboulder wrote:
k-berger wrote:Skied it today and it was in great shape. Firm on the climb and softened up nicely for the decent. Road was fine for 4runner. I'll post another thread, but I found an ice axe halfway up tuning in the AM. If it is yours shoot me a PM.
K-berger, did you do all the creek crossings in your 4Runner or did you park early on and hike the rest of the way? Thinking about heading up TF this weekend. I've got a 2015 stock 4Runner and have done 4wd roads, but creek crossings always make me a bit nervous. Is Schralp's photo for real? :wft: 8-[
Ha, no his photo is not real. The creek crossings were no problem last weekend, more melt is happening but you should be fine.
randomboulder
14ers: 5  2  1 
13ers: 8 5 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by randomboulder »

k-berger wrote:Ha, no his photo is not real. The creek crossings were no problem last weekend, more melt is happening but you should be fine.
Lol, thanks. I didn't think it was, but thought I'd make sure. :lol: