Ski Elbert

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Ski Elbert

Post by atalarico »

Anyone know if there's still enough snow left to ski Elbert (with the understanding that it will be hot and lacking a freeze this weekend)? Is it possible to just ski low-angle safe stuff off the summit still, or is the Box Couloir area probably the only place holding snow still?

Thanks!

Edited to add: Also realizing there might be better conditions if we drove up South Half-Moon Creek and climbed one of the West couloirs?! This is kind of more intriguing to me! https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=6306
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Ski Elbert

Post by AlexeyD »

Haven't been there recently, but here's a webcam that gives a decent view of current conditions on Elbert and Massive: https://www.wunderground.com/webcams/zdjh22/1/show.html
atalarico
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

AlexeyD wrote:Haven't been there recently, but here's a webcam that gives a decent view of current conditions on Elbert and Massive: https://www.wunderground.com/webcams/zdjh22/1/show.html
Oh my! It sort of looks like you still could ride from the summit (carefully) on the east slopes. I'm guessing South Halfmoon should be awesome given that it's West facing, etc. Oh this is exciting. Thanks for the link!
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

The west side of Elbert is dry, as seen from Champion last Friday. East side looked snowy. Don't specifically remember the low angle east ridge. I would imagine skiing it shortly after sunrise, may be possible.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
atalarico
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

bergsteigen wrote:The west side of Elbert is dry, as seen from Champion last Friday. East side looked snowy. Don't specifically remember the low angle east ridge. I would imagine skiing it shortly after sunrise, may be possible.
Huh. Damn. Could you specifically see the half moon couloir?

It looks like it holds snow when everything else appears dry around it. At least, that's what I'm hoping for.
atalarico
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

The big question mark would be whether or not the water crossing(s) on that branch of the road are too burly for my 4Runner. I have a 3" lift and 32" tires, but still, spring run-off water crossings are no joke and watching my truck get carried away would be a bad way to start a ski day.
bergsteigen
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Unfortunately, I didn't spend a lot of time on Champion, since the freeze was bad, and we just wanted off the mountain with the clouds and possible afternoon storm. I'll check my camera in a couple hours, but I'm guessing if it was in view of Champion, then it's at a minimum, dry for a long bit off the summit.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

Count40
14ers: 45  4 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Count40 »

bergsteigen wrote:Post by bergsteigen » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:21 pm
Unfortunately, I didn't spend a lot of time on Champion, since the freeze was bad, and we just wanted off the mountain with the clouds and possible afternoon storm. I'll check my camera in a couple hours, but I'm guessing if it was in view of Champion, then it's at a minimum, dry for a long bit off the summit.
Diverting the thread a bit sideways. Bergsteigen, can you maybe tell a bit more about Champion condition, when you find time?
bergsteigen
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Count40 wrote: Diverting the thread a bit sideways. Bergsteigen, can you maybe tell a bit more about Champion condition, when you find time?
We went up the west face on some couloir/gully I had spotted the day before, since the south face ridge was almost completely dry. The stream crossing wasn't too bad in my sandals, underneath the western snow gully. The snow on the west had gotten evening rain, and was really firm in places, and not quite in others. As we neared the top, it became unsupportive, so we went to the south ridge to complete the climb more efficiently. The east side is fully filled in, and you can chose from the NE, E and SE lines directly off the corniced summit. We probably should have skied the NE line (likely firmer snow), but I went down the more tempting east, and Joel the SE. The more solar you were, the more sloppy the snow, even in the morning when we dropped (around 9am). We managed to ski almost continuous snow down to the other stream crossing by the TH.

Count40
14ers: 45  4 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Count40 »

bergsteigen wrote:
Count40 wrote: Diverting the thread a bit sideways. Bergsteigen, can you maybe tell a bit more about Champion condition, when you find time?
We went up the west face on some couloir/gully I had spotted the day before, since the south face ridge was almost completely dry. The stream crossing wasn't too bad in my sandals, underneath the western snow gully. The snow on the west had gotten evening rain, and was really firm in places, and not quite in others. As we neared the top, it became unsupportive, so we went to the south ridge to complete the climb more efficiently. The east side is fully filled in, and you can chose from the NE, E and SE lines directly off the corniced summit. We probably should have skied the NE line (likely firmer snow), but I went down the more tempting east, and Joel the SE. The more solar you were, the more sloppy the snow, even in the morning when we dropped (around 9am). We managed to ski almost continuous snow down to the other stream crossing by the TH.
Thanks. Apologies to atalarico for post/thread disruption.