Mt Helen vs Red Mtn C - ski

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nedryarson
14ers: 24  1 
13ers: 73 3 1
Trip Reports (2)

Mt Helen vs Red Mtn C - ski

Post by nedryarson »

Hi all, I'm considering a mellower peak skin/ski this weekend and am torn between Helen or Red Mountain C. Looking for votes on what I should choose based on quality of snow on the approach and up high. Thanks in advance!
dustj
14ers: 58  16  1 
13ers: 126 19 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt Helen vs Red Mtn C - ski

Post by dustj »

Helen has an easier approach but will not have the coverage up high that Red does. Looking out the window at work, Helen is in from summit, though a little thin in some places. I haven't been up Pennsylvania gulch since the storm two weeks ago but when I skied Red in April, I had to boot a mile and half on the road. My guess is that you will get more bang for your buck if you do Helen. However, if you do Red you can always regain the saddle and ski Hoosier Ridge.
nedryarson
14ers: 24  1 
13ers: 73 3 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by nedryarson »

Great feedback, thanks!
Double Oh Seven
14ers: 19 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Double Oh Seven »

I did Helen this Past Sunday. Coverage was great up high. At this point you are going to have to walk the road. Snow was good enough I would have done 2 laps if I didn't get there so late. But a little disappointing I had to take the skis off around 11000 feet

Here's my condition report

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstat ... ecnum=8560
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

Post by SolarAlex »

the east bowl on red is a really nice ski... way better than helen IMO.
Vincit Qui Patitur
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

I've skied Helen twice, and Red 3 times. At this point, both will involve walking on the approach. Helen is good if you want to keep it mellow overall. Red has a few options to keep it really easy or to ski something steeper. I prefer Red because of the options and better snow.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina